Precautionary measures while driving in foggy weather
The temperatures are already witnessing a declining trend in most parts of the country.
The recent spell of dense fog and freezing weather conditions not only disrupts the road and air transportation but extremely poor visibility also caused dangerous accidents.
The National Highways and Motorway Police (NH&MP), keeping in views the upcoming extreme foggy weather, have advised people to follow some precautionary measures to prevent fog-related accidents.
Driving tips during fog
- Drive at a speed that suits the foggy conditions. Make sure the headlights are turned ON.
- Always use your low beam.
- Use anti-fog lights to boost your visibility.
- Use edge of the road as a guide, rather than the center line in fog.
- Avoid tale-gating i.e always keep a distance from the vehicle in front.
- Stop any distraction in the vehicle.
- Keep your windows and mirrors clean.
- If fog is very dense, just stop the vehicle in the protected area away from traffic and turn ON your emergency flashers.
- Don’t jam your vehicle while encountering a cloud of smog. You could become the first victim in a pile-up.
- Don’t speed up suddenly, even if the fog seems to be clearing. You could find yourself suddenly back in the fog.
- In case of emergency please dial NH&MP HelpLine “130”