Read more on ESPN

Published 3 years ago on Nov 2nd 2023, 11:00 am
By Web Desk

Jon Jones apologized to Stipe Miocic in an Instagram video Thursday after being forced to pull out of their upcoming UFC 295 bout due to surgery for a torn pectoral tendon.
Jones was scheduled to defend his UFC heavyweight title against Miocic, the former two-time champ, in the main event of UFC 295 on Nov. 11 at New York's Madison Square Garden. It was set to be one of the biggest UFC headline events of the year. But earlier this week, Jones was forced to withdraw after tearing a pectoral tendon off the bone in training.
"Obviously, a very sad situation, very upset," Jones said. "But I've been through a lot of things in life. Injuries is a part of being an athlete."
The consensus best MMA fighter of all time shared a video of himself on Instagram after the procedure on Friday.
"Mission complete," Jones said. "Now it's time for the road to recovery. Let's do it."
Miocic was removed from the event as well. In place of Jones vs. Miocic, the UFC added a co-main event between top heavyweight contenders Tom Aspinall and Sergei Pavlovich for the interim title. The main event will be the former co-main: Alex Pereira vs. Jiri Prochazka for the vacant light heavyweight title.
In Thursday's video, Jones said he planned to undergo the surgery in California with a doctor the UFC connected him with.
"The goal is to get surgery [Friday] and get back to work as soon as possible," Jones said. "I guess it'll be Stipe and I at a later date. That's my plan. It'll be surgery and physical therapy for me for the next several months. But I'm committed. My head is high."
Miocic said in a video on OnlyFans that he got the news of Jones being out in the middle of the night and it felt like a blow below the belt. He is still targeting the rival in what would be a battle between the best overall fighter in UFC history (Jones) and the most successful heavyweight in the promotion (Miocic).
"I want that belt back," Miocic said. "It's my belt. It's going to happen."
Miocic said he wasn't sure why the UFC did not include him in the interim title fight. UFC CEO Dana White told reporters this week that it would be an insult to Miocic to compete for that lesser distinction given his illustrious career in the weight class.
Jones was scheduled to defend his UFC heavyweight title against Miocic, the former two-time champ, in the main event of UFC 295 on Nov. 11 at New York's Madison Square Garden. It was set to be one of the biggest UFC headline events of the year. But earlier this week, Jones was forced to withdraw after tearing a pectoral tendon off the bone in training.
"Obviously, a very sad situation, very upset," Jones said. "But I've been through a lot of things in life. Injuries is a part of being an athlete."
The consensus best MMA fighter of all time shared a video of himself on Instagram after the procedure on Friday.
"Mission complete," Jones said. "Now it's time for the road to recovery. Let's do it."
Miocic was removed from the event as well. In place of Jones vs. Miocic, the UFC added a co-main event between top heavyweight contenders Tom Aspinall and Sergei Pavlovich for the interim title. The main event will be the former co-main: Alex Pereira vs. Jiri Prochazka for the vacant light heavyweight title.
In Thursday's video, Jones said he planned to undergo the surgery in California with a doctor the UFC connected him with.
"The goal is to get surgery [Friday] and get back to work as soon as possible," Jones said. "I guess it'll be Stipe and I at a later date. That's my plan. It'll be surgery and physical therapy for me for the next several months. But I'm committed. My head is high."
Miocic said in a video on OnlyFans that he got the news of Jones being out in the middle of the night and it felt like a blow below the belt. He is still targeting the rival in what would be a battle between the best overall fighter in UFC history (Jones) and the most successful heavyweight in the promotion (Miocic).
"I want that belt back," Miocic said. "It's my belt. It's going to happen."
Miocic said he wasn't sure why the UFC did not include him in the interim title fight. UFC CEO Dana White told reporters this week that it would be an insult to Miocic to compete for that lesser distinction given his illustrious career in the weight class.

The best thing Democrats can do for the climate: Stop talking about it
- 16 گھنٹے قبل

Field Marshal Asim Munir’s Iran visit highly productive, encouraging progress Achieved: ISPR
- 2 گھنٹے قبل

Field Marshal Asim Munir meets Iranian Abbas Araghchi to discuss Iran-U.S. talks
- 8 گھنٹے قبل

PM Shehbaz leaves for China on four-day official visit
- 8 گھنٹے قبل

Trump Mobile may be leaking customer addresses
- 18 گھنٹے قبل

How the Oklahoma City Thunder became the NBA’s villains
- 16 گھنٹے قبل

PM Shehbaz meets Zhejiang leadership, Punjab-Zhejiang sister province MoU signed
- 2 گھنٹے قبل

Hopeful for Iran deal, in constant contact with Pakistan: Marco Rubio
- ایک دن قبل

The worst kind of cancer suddenly isn’t so scary anymore
- 16 گھنٹے قبل

Democrats don’t need an autopsy to know what they did wrong
- 7 گھنٹے قبل

How Trump plans to build his arch
- 16 گھنٹے قبل

Field Marshal Asim Munir meets Iranian President, parliament speaker to discuss Iran-U.S. talks
- 8 گھنٹے قبل
You May Like
Trending








