The Jets have granted quarterback Zach Wilson permission to seek a trade and won't use the franchise tag on defensive end Bryce Huff, GM Joe Douglas said Wednesday.

Published 2 years ago on Mar 1st 2024, 11:00 am
By Web Desk

The New York Jets have granted Zach Wilson's agent permission to speak with other teams about a potential trade, general manager Joe Douglas told reporters Wednesday at the scouting combine in Indianapolis.
While Wilson's days with the team appear numbered, the Jets are trying to re-sign highly regarded pass-rusher Bryce Huff before he becomes a free agent, but they won't use the franchise tag, Douglas said.
Wilson's fate was sealed at the end of the season, when the Jets made it clear they would be in the market for a veteran backup to play behind Aaron Rodgers. That sentiment was reinforced recently by owner Woody Johnson, who said, "We need a backup quarterback. We didn't have one last year."
Douglas said he has had conversations with Wilson's agent, Brian Ayrault. Douglas didn't say whether Wilson -- drafted No. 2 overall in 2021 -- requested a trade, although it's no secret that he's looking for a change of scenery. The team told him during the season that it would be willing to accommodate him, sources said.
"I'm going to circle back with Brian at some point this week or next week just to see how those conversations go," Douglas said. "But other than that, there's nothing else to report."
League sources told ESPN recently that Wilson, who has the league's second-lowest Total QBR over the past three seasons, would fetch only a late-round draft pick in a trade. The Jets could seek a conditional pick, based on playing time.
After two disappointing seasons as the starter, Wilson was replaced by Rodgers, with the organization hoping that he'd be groomed by the future Hall of Famer. The plan went awry when Rodgers tore his left Achilles tendon on the fourth play of the season, forcing Wilson into action.
The offense struggled mightily, as Wilson won only four of 11 starts with eight touchdown passes and seven interceptions. He was benched in favor of journeyman Tim Boyle, then returned to the lineup before suffering a season-ending concussion in Week 15.
Wilson is counting $11.2 million on the cap and due to make $5.5 million in guaranteed money this season. His fifth-year option for 2025 would have to be exercised by May 2, but there's no chance of that happening.
Douglas sounded confident about landing a quality backup.
"We're still really early in the offseason, especially when it comes to the veteran backup landscape and market," he said. "We've had good meetings and good evaluations with the guys that are available, and I think we're ready to take the next step and see where the market is exactly with these backup quarterbacks."
As for Huff, who led the Jets with 10 sacks, the team expects to meet with his agent at the combine. They've already held discussions about a new contract, and Douglas said he expects to have productive conversations in the coming days. Not utilizing the franchise tag isn't a surprise because the amount for a defensive end is a steep $21.3 million.
While Wilson's days with the team appear numbered, the Jets are trying to re-sign highly regarded pass-rusher Bryce Huff before he becomes a free agent, but they won't use the franchise tag, Douglas said.
Wilson's fate was sealed at the end of the season, when the Jets made it clear they would be in the market for a veteran backup to play behind Aaron Rodgers. That sentiment was reinforced recently by owner Woody Johnson, who said, "We need a backup quarterback. We didn't have one last year."
Douglas said he has had conversations with Wilson's agent, Brian Ayrault. Douglas didn't say whether Wilson -- drafted No. 2 overall in 2021 -- requested a trade, although it's no secret that he's looking for a change of scenery. The team told him during the season that it would be willing to accommodate him, sources said.
"I'm going to circle back with Brian at some point this week or next week just to see how those conversations go," Douglas said. "But other than that, there's nothing else to report."
League sources told ESPN recently that Wilson, who has the league's second-lowest Total QBR over the past three seasons, would fetch only a late-round draft pick in a trade. The Jets could seek a conditional pick, based on playing time.
After two disappointing seasons as the starter, Wilson was replaced by Rodgers, with the organization hoping that he'd be groomed by the future Hall of Famer. The plan went awry when Rodgers tore his left Achilles tendon on the fourth play of the season, forcing Wilson into action.
The offense struggled mightily, as Wilson won only four of 11 starts with eight touchdown passes and seven interceptions. He was benched in favor of journeyman Tim Boyle, then returned to the lineup before suffering a season-ending concussion in Week 15.
Wilson is counting $11.2 million on the cap and due to make $5.5 million in guaranteed money this season. His fifth-year option for 2025 would have to be exercised by May 2, but there's no chance of that happening.
Douglas sounded confident about landing a quality backup.
"We're still really early in the offseason, especially when it comes to the veteran backup landscape and market," he said. "We've had good meetings and good evaluations with the guys that are available, and I think we're ready to take the next step and see where the market is exactly with these backup quarterbacks."
As for Huff, who led the Jets with 10 sacks, the team expects to meet with his agent at the combine. They've already held discussions about a new contract, and Douglas said he expects to have productive conversations in the coming days. Not utilizing the franchise tag isn't a surprise because the amount for a defensive end is a steep $21.3 million.
US releases second batch of government declassified UFO files
- 2 hours ago
Air Chief Marshal Sidhu visits Türkiye, holds high-level meetings with defence leadership
- 4 hours ago

Our national parks are struggling
- 15 hours ago

How to prepare for a huge disaster when you live in a tiny apartment
- 15 hours ago
CDF Syed Asim Munir departs for Iran on official visit
- 4 hours ago

The most important election is the one most Americans skip
- 15 hours ago

Volvo teases a new affordable EV to replace discontinued EX30
- 17 hours ago
PCB announces squad for ODI series against Australia
- 7 hours ago
Pakistan seeks breakthrough in US-Iran peace talks
- 2 hours ago

PM Shehbaz to visit China on four-day official visit from Saturday
- 6 hours ago

Hopeful for Iran deal, in constant contact with Pakistan: Marco Rubio
- 2 hours ago

Elon Musk lost his case against Sam Altman
- 17 hours ago
You May Like
Trending







