Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva will face Chael Sonnen in a boxing match on June 15 in Brazil, Spaten Fight Night promotion announced on Sunday.

Published 2 years ago on May 22nd 2024, 11:00 am
By Web Desk

One of the greatest rivalries in mixed martial arts history will recommence next month.
Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva will face Chael Sonnen in a boxing match June 15 in Brazil, the Spaten Fight Night promotion announced Sunday. Silva, 49, had been teasing his career finale earlier this week, claiming his final fight would take place next month in his birthplace of Sao Paulo.
Sonnen, 47, confirmed his participation via social media.
"Oh Anderson, yoohoo," Sonnen said. "It's me again. See you June 15."
Silva (34-11) and Sonnen (30-17-1) produced one of the most memorable two-fight rivalries in UFC history. Silva was in the midst of a UFC-record 16 consecutive wins when he ran into Sonnen in 2010. The outspoken title challenger from West Linn, Oregon, was a massive underdog going into their first meeting at UFC 117.
Sonnen shocked the world for 23 minutes of that fight, dominating Silva with takedowns and ground-and-pound before Silva secured a late triangle choke off his back. The UFC is set to induct that fight into its Hall of Fame in late June.
They met again two years later at UFC 148 in a blockbuster rematch in Las Vegas. Silva knocked out Sonnen with a knee to the chest after Sonnen lost balance throwing a spinning backfist.
Silva retired from the UFC in 2020, but has since boxed professionally four times. He is 2-1-1 in the ring, with the only loss coming to Jake Paul via decision in 2022. Sonnen retired from MMA in 2019 after five appearances in Bellator MMA. The former collegiate wrestler has never boxed professionally.
Silva was widely considered the greatest fighter of all time by 2010, but Sonnen's ability to promote their rivalry with his trash talk of the Brazilian legend helped propel him to stardom.
Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva will face Chael Sonnen in a boxing match June 15 in Brazil, the Spaten Fight Night promotion announced Sunday. Silva, 49, had been teasing his career finale earlier this week, claiming his final fight would take place next month in his birthplace of Sao Paulo.
Sonnen, 47, confirmed his participation via social media.
"Oh Anderson, yoohoo," Sonnen said. "It's me again. See you June 15."
Silva (34-11) and Sonnen (30-17-1) produced one of the most memorable two-fight rivalries in UFC history. Silva was in the midst of a UFC-record 16 consecutive wins when he ran into Sonnen in 2010. The outspoken title challenger from West Linn, Oregon, was a massive underdog going into their first meeting at UFC 117.
Sonnen shocked the world for 23 minutes of that fight, dominating Silva with takedowns and ground-and-pound before Silva secured a late triangle choke off his back. The UFC is set to induct that fight into its Hall of Fame in late June.
They met again two years later at UFC 148 in a blockbuster rematch in Las Vegas. Silva knocked out Sonnen with a knee to the chest after Sonnen lost balance throwing a spinning backfist.
Silva retired from the UFC in 2020, but has since boxed professionally four times. He is 2-1-1 in the ring, with the only loss coming to Jake Paul via decision in 2022. Sonnen retired from MMA in 2019 after five appearances in Bellator MMA. The former collegiate wrestler has never boxed professionally.
Silva was widely considered the greatest fighter of all time by 2010, but Sonnen's ability to promote their rivalry with his trash talk of the Brazilian legend helped propel him to stardom.
Romania’s Defence Minister steps down after CV misrepresentation
- 21 hours ago

WWE 'Raw' takeaways: Doubt looms around Survivor Series: War Games favorites
- 10 hours ago
Iran to boycott 2026 World Cup draw over US visa row
- 18 hours ago

Inside Lions DE Aidan Hutchinson's contract extension, and Micah Parsons' role
- 10 hours ago

Taliban regime has become a threat not only to Pakistan but to the entire region: ISPR
- an hour ago
WHO issues unprecedented global guidelines to combat infertility
- a day ago

Bill Belichick's legacy takes a detour at North Carolina
- 10 hours ago
Indian Minister’s statement threat to regional peace: FO
- 18 hours ago
Religious scholar, minor son shot dead in Peshawar
- 17 hours ago
Meta introduces nickname feature for posts in Facebook groups
- 18 hours ago

Accountability is essential for Israel’s war crimes and acts of genocide against Palestinians:PM Shehbaz
- 40 minutes ago

Gen Z made status symbols affordable. They’re just impossible to get.
- 9 hours ago
You May Like
Trending







