Fatalities occurred during the final of a tournament in honour of military leader

Conakry (Reuters): A controversial refereeing decision sparked violence and a crush at a soccer match in southeast Guinea, killing 56 people, according to a provisional toll, the government said on Monday, as a witness described scenes of chaos.
The fatalities occurred during the final of a tournament in honour of Guinea's military leader Mamady Doumbouya at a stadium in Nzerekore, one of the West African nation's largest cities.
Fans threw stones, triggering panic and a crush, the government statement said, promising an investigation.
A witness, who had attended the match, said a disputed red card in the 82nd minute of the match kicked off the violence.
"The stone throwing started and the police joined in, firing tear gas. In the rush and scramble that followed, I saw people fall to the ground, girls and children trampled underfoot. It was horrible," Amara Conde told Reuters by phone.
The crowd rushed to leave, leading to a dangerous scrum at the exits, a police source said.
A video authenticated by Reuters showed dozens of people scrambling over high walls to escape.
Ousted President Alpha Conde said the event had been badly organised at an uneasy time for the country, which is waiting for Doumbouya to hold promised elections after he seized power in a 2021 coup.
"In a context where the country is already marked by tensions and restrictions, this tragedy highlights the dangers of irresponsible organisation," Conde said in a statement.
Speaking on condition of anonymity, an official from the city's administration said many victims were minors caught in the turmoil after police started firing tear gas. The official described scenes of confusion and chaos with parents retrieving bodies before they were officially counted.
People scramble in Nzerekore where local officials said a stampede occurred following clashes at a soccer match
People scramble in Nzerekore, Guinea, where local officials said a deadly stampede ensued at a stadium following fan clashes during a soccer match, December 1, 2024, in this still image obtained from a social media video. Social media via REUTERS Purchase Licensing Rights, opens new tab
Videos and pictures shared online showed victims lined up on the ground. In one video, over a dozen inert bodies could be seen, several of them children.
Reuters was not immediately able to verify that footage.

Hantavirus will test if the world learned anything from Covid
- 13 گھنٹے قبل
Govt grants relaxation regarding business operating hours across country
- ایک دن قبل
Spanish court acquits Colombian singer Shakira in tax fraud case
- ایک دن قبل
Pakistan, nine other countries condemn Israeli assaults against aid flotilla
- 5 گھنٹے قبل
PM reaffirms commitment to ensuring investor-friendly policies
- ایک دن قبل

You can make an app for that
- 6 گھنٹے قبل
Iran officially announces new body to manage Strait of Hormuz: top security council
- ایک دن قبل

Closing time
- 6 گھنٹے قبل
2nd Test: Bangladesh bowled out for 390 in second inning, Pakistan set 437-run Victory target
- ایک دن قبل
Anti-polio drive of varied-duration starts in 79 districts
- ایک دن قبل
Armed Forces committed to eradicating all forms of terrorism: Field Marshal
- 5 گھنٹے قبل
Explosions heard in Iran's Qeshm island due to disposal of enemy ammunition
- 3 گھنٹے قبل











