Alexander Zverev slumped in the first set of his first-round Australian Open match against Gabriel Diallo before rallying to win 6-7 (7), 6-1, 6-4, 6-2.

Published 4 months ago on Jan 24th 2026, 6:00 am
By Web Desk
Third-seeded Alexander Zverev shrugged off a sluggish start to power through his first-round match against rising star Gabriel Diallo as the Australian Open got underway Sunday.
Zverev, the runner-up at Melbourne Park last year, slumped in the first set against the 24-year-old Canadian before rallying on the back of his strong serve to win 6-7 (7), 6-1, 6-4, 6-2 on Rod Laver Arena. He is into the second round at Melbourne Park for the 10th straight year.
"Definitely when I saw the draw, wasn't too happy to be honest," Zverev said in an on-court interview, speaking of the tricky challenge presented by No. 41-ranked Diallo. "He's very young, very talented. Unbelievably aggressive.
"First set wasn't my best tennis, I would say. I was thinking, 'can't get worse than that." It got a lot better after that for me."
No. 1 Carlos Alcaraz, who is bidding to complete the career Grand Slam, saw off Australia's Adam Walton 6-3, 7-6 (2), 6-2.
No. 20 Flavio Cobolli became the first of the seeded men's players to exit the tournament in a 7-6 (7), 6-4, 6-1 loss to British qualifier Arthur Fery.
No. 10 Alexander Bublik advanced over Jenson Brooksby 6-4, 6-4, 6-4, No. 18 seed Francisco Cerundolo beat Zhang Zhizhen 6-3, 7-6 (0), No. 29 Frances Tiafoe overpowered Jason Kubler 7-6 (4), 6-3, 6-2, and Michael Zheng fended off Sebastian Korda 6-4, 6-4, 3-6, 6-7 (0), 6-3 in an all-American first-rounder.
Zheng, a college star at Columbia who advanced through qualifying to make his tour-level debut, will next face No. 32 Corentin Moutet, who was booed after his underarm serve on match point in a 6-4, 7-6 (1), 6-3 win over Tristan Schoolkate.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Zverev, the runner-up at Melbourne Park last year, slumped in the first set against the 24-year-old Canadian before rallying on the back of his strong serve to win 6-7 (7), 6-1, 6-4, 6-2 on Rod Laver Arena. He is into the second round at Melbourne Park for the 10th straight year.
"Definitely when I saw the draw, wasn't too happy to be honest," Zverev said in an on-court interview, speaking of the tricky challenge presented by No. 41-ranked Diallo. "He's very young, very talented. Unbelievably aggressive.
"First set wasn't my best tennis, I would say. I was thinking, 'can't get worse than that." It got a lot better after that for me."
No. 1 Carlos Alcaraz, who is bidding to complete the career Grand Slam, saw off Australia's Adam Walton 6-3, 7-6 (2), 6-2.
No. 20 Flavio Cobolli became the first of the seeded men's players to exit the tournament in a 7-6 (7), 6-4, 6-1 loss to British qualifier Arthur Fery.
No. 10 Alexander Bublik advanced over Jenson Brooksby 6-4, 6-4, 6-4, No. 18 seed Francisco Cerundolo beat Zhang Zhizhen 6-3, 7-6 (0), No. 29 Frances Tiafoe overpowered Jason Kubler 7-6 (4), 6-3, 6-2, and Michael Zheng fended off Sebastian Korda 6-4, 6-4, 3-6, 6-7 (0), 6-3 in an all-American first-rounder.
Zheng, a college star at Columbia who advanced through qualifying to make his tour-level debut, will next face No. 32 Corentin Moutet, who was booed after his underarm serve on match point in a 6-4, 7-6 (1), 6-3 win over Tristan Schoolkate.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Dyson’s super-slim PencilWash just hit its best price to date for Memorial Day
- 15 گھنٹے قبل
WHO says Ebola risk high regionally, low worldwide
- ایک دن قبل

This animal kills 100,000 people a year. Why can’t we stop it?
- 13 گھنٹے قبل

Leaked images reveal Xbox Elite 3 controller
- 15 گھنٹے قبل

MAGA’s favorite psychedelic
- 13 گھنٹے قبل

Xbox fans want exclusives, more backward compatibility, and free online multiplayer
- 15 گھنٹے قبل

Microsoft starts canceling Claude Code licenses
- 15 گھنٹے قبل

Pakistan condemns unlawful interception of Global Sumud Flotilla by Israeli forces
- 3 گھنٹے قبل

Apple’s accessibility features add more AI-powered processing
- 15 گھنٹے قبل
PM reaffirms resolve to ensure success of CPEC next phase
- ایک دن قبل
Army officers, soldiers, martyrs honoured with military awards at GHQ ceremony
- 4 گھنٹے قبل

Musk v. Altman proved that AI is led by the wrong people
- 15 گھنٹے قبل
You May Like
Trending






