Connect with us

Technology

“Terrible name”: Elon Musk says Donald’s Truth Social ‘should be called Trumpet’ 

Elon stated that Donald Trump’s Truth Social app exists because Twitter censored free speech. 

Published

on

“Terrible name”: Elon Musk says Donald’s Truth Social ‘should be called Trumpet’ 
GNN Media: Representational Photo

Twitter’s new owner Elon Musk suggested former US president Donald Trump to change the name of his social media application ‘Truth Social’ to ‘Trumpet.’ 

Elon Musk, who is on his way to owning Twitter, continued his freewheeling tweets by posting that ex-President Donald Trump’s Truth Social platform has a ‘terrible name’. 

The Tesla and SpaceX CEO continued: ‘Should be called Trumpet instead!’

Musk’s tweets about Truth Social on Wednesday afternoon came hours after he shared a screenshot showing that Truth Social was beating Twitter and TikTok in Apple’s App Store.

Elon stated that Donald Trump’s Truth Social app exists because Twitter censored free speech. 

Trump did not immediately comment publicly on Musk’s remarks about Truth Social, which he launched after being banned from Twitter, Facebook and YouTube for his remarks around the January 6 Capitol riot.

Former US President launched Truth Social last month, billing it as a social media platform encouraging free speech and he is yet to formally join the platform.  

Musk has said he plans to make Twitter private and promote free speech. His pinned tweet as of Wednesday evening stated: “By free speech, I simply mean that which matches the law”. 

On the other hand, the Twitter's buyout transaction is expected to take three to six months to close. 

Mehak Javed

Mehak Javed is immensely creative and an enthusiastic journalist, contributing in the publication of timely and accurate news. She is a skilled writer along proven history of achievement in the field with several years of professional experience. Mehak is working with GNN since 2020.

Pakistan

PTI workers enter Islamabad’s Red Zone despite warning

Police baton-charged and tear-gased the protesters.

Published by Siddra Sumreen

Published

on

PTI workers enter Islamabad’s Red Zone despite warning

Islamabad: Former prime minister and Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan and his Azaadi March having crossed all hindrances have reached Islamabad and are heading towards D-Chowk, and defied the challenge of Interior Minister Rana Sanaullah, who had claimed that he would not allow Imran Khan to enter Islamabad.

Thousands of emotional and passionate workers and supporters would warmly welcome their beloved leader Imran Khan and its caravan.

However, police resorted to severe tear gas and reportedly used rubber bullets to disperse the PTI workers. The activists scattered for some time and gathered again. 

Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan has called off his most anticipated long march, giving a six-day ultimatum to the government to dissolve assemblies and announce elections. 

While addressing the participants of the ‘Azadi March’ at Jinnah Avenue, Imran Khan said he had reached Islamabad after 30 hours of traveling from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KPK).

He warned the government that if an announcement of elections will not be made, he will return to Islamabad-- demanding assemblies be dissolved forthwith.

Khan and the top party leaders left the container soon after the speech while the party workers managed to enter the Red Zone despite heavy security.

Before the arrival of PTI Chairman Imran Khan at the designated area, the PTI MNAs and workers gathered at D-Chowk where a clash broke out between them and anti-riot police and law-enforcement agencies. 

Police baton-charged and tear-gased the protesters.

The D-Chowk turned into a battlefield between the Islamabad police and the PTI leaders and activists on early Thursday. 

PTI MNA Zartaj Gul got fainted. Many women and children got affected by tear gas shelling.  

Some officials of police and Rangers also suffered injuries in clashes. The protesters set some trees and vehicles ablaze. 

In a statement released on Twitter, the police noted that when the fire bigrade doused the blazes, the protestors once again set fire the Express Chowrangi on fire. 

Since being removed from power through a no-confidence vote in April, the cricketer-turned-politician heaped pressure on Pakistan's fragile new coalition rulers by staging mass rallies, touting a claim he was turned out from office in a "foreign conspiracy". 

In a centerpiece showdown with his rivals, Khan had called for supporters of his party to gather in Islamabad and stage a sit-in until fresh elections are called.

The government headed by Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has pledged to stop the convoy from entering the city, calling the rally an attempt to "divide the nation and promote chaos".

All major roads surrounding Islamabad, where a heavy security presence is in place, were blocked off with shipping containers while entry and exit points of major nearby cities were also cut off.

Sporadic clashes broke out between police and protesters who have tried to clear the roads, with tear gas fired in several cities.

Khan joined the march in dramatic fashion, arriving in a helicopter that touched down on a motorway clogged with supporters outside the city of Mardan.

The convoy later crossed a bridge that straddles PTI-run Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and government-run Punjab province, where shipping containers blocking the route were pushed to the side of the road by protesters.

Earlier, soldiers were deployed at the Prime Minister's Office and the Parliament to avoid any untoward incident in the wake of PTI's long march and the presence of charged workers.

"Pakistan Army has been called in for the security of government’s offices located in the Red Zone," the notification read. 

As the situation turned chaotic after the police clashed with the PTI workers ahead of former prime minister Imran Khan's political rally in Islamabad, the government has sought the help of the army to control the situation. 

Continue Reading

Pakistan

Quddus Bizenjo to stay as CM after no-confidence motion fails

Jamal Kamal-led group could muster the support of only 11 members

Published by Siddra Sumreen

Published

on

Quddus Bizenjo to stay as CM after no-confidence motion fails

Quetta: The opposition in Balochistan Assembly failed to table the no-confidence motion against Chief Minister Abdul Quddus Bizenjo after its failure to grab the support of required lawmakers.

According to details, the motion couldn’t even be tabled after it failed to get the support of the 20 percent of the house members - 13 members in the 65-members house.

The session started with Deputy Speaker Sardar Babar Khan Musakhail in the chair who asked former provincial minister Mir Zahoor Buledi to read out the motion.

After the motion was read, Musakhial asked the members in support of the motion to raise their hands. Only 11 members voted in favor of the motion.

The motion against Bizenjo was in the provincial assembly on Monday last week with the support of some lawmakers from his own party.

The motion was signed by 14 members, including Bizenjo’s predecessor Jam Kamal of the Balochistan Awami Party (BAP).

The motion was presented by PTI parliamentary leader Sardar Yar Muhammad Rind.

It is to be noted here that Abdul Quddus Bizenjo was elected as the Chief Minister of Balochistan after the provincial assembly passed a motion of no-confidence against former chief minister Jam Kamal Khan a few months ago in October 2021.

Continue Reading

World

Death toll from Iran tower block collapse rises to 18

The number of people still trapped under the rubble remains unclear.

Published by Mehak Javed

Published

on

Death toll from Iran tower block collapse rises to 18

Tehran: Iranian authorities announced Thursday that 18 people were killed in the collapse of a building under construction in southwestern Iran, in a new toll after four days of the tragedy. 

On Monday, a large part of the 10-storey "Metropol" building under construction collapsed in Abadan, one of the main cities in Iran's Khuzestan province. The building is located in the middle of one of the busiest streets in the city of 230,000 people.

The number of people still trapped under the rubble remains unclear.

The cause of the collapse, which occurred during a sandstorm, is yet to be ascertained. 

Police, however, arrested the owner of the building and the project manager of the construction company that built it.

Continue Reading

Trending