The Belmont Stakes could be relocated to Saratoga Race Course in upstate New York as soon as next year, an earlier-than-anticipated move for the third leg of horse racing's Triple Crown.

Published 3 years ago on Sep 9th 2023, 11:00 am
By Web Desk

The Belmont Stakes could be relocated to Saratoga Race Course in upstate New York as soon as next year, an earlier-than-anticipated move for the third leg of horse racing's Triple Crown.
The New York Racing Association's hope is to hold the Belmont at historic Saratoga in 2024 and 2025. The move, which had already been committed to for 2025 because of a $455 million renovation of Belmont Park, is subject to the approval of an oversight board and the New York State Gaming Commission.
A final decision is expected in the coming months.
NYRA vice president of communications Patrick McKenna said Wednesday the organization envisions two years of the race at Saratoga "to allow for the uninterrupted construction of a new and completely re-imagined Belmont Park."
There is no plan to move the Belmont Stakes anywhere on a permanent basis. Nor is there any plan to change the timing of the race from its traditional spot on the calendar in early June, three weeks after the Preakness and five weeks after the Kentucky Derby.
"The transformational project to re-imagine Belmont Park and create one of the finest sports and entertainment destinations in the country will require temporary adjustments to the traditional racing schedule," McKenna said in a statement sent to The Associated Press. "A Belmont Stakes at Saratoga Race Couse would capture the attention of the sports world while driving tourism and economic impact for upstate New York."
The New York Racing Association's hope is to hold the Belmont at historic Saratoga in 2024 and 2025. The move, which had already been committed to for 2025 because of a $455 million renovation of Belmont Park, is subject to the approval of an oversight board and the New York State Gaming Commission.
A final decision is expected in the coming months.
NYRA vice president of communications Patrick McKenna said Wednesday the organization envisions two years of the race at Saratoga "to allow for the uninterrupted construction of a new and completely re-imagined Belmont Park."
There is no plan to move the Belmont Stakes anywhere on a permanent basis. Nor is there any plan to change the timing of the race from its traditional spot on the calendar in early June, three weeks after the Preakness and five weeks after the Kentucky Derby.
"The transformational project to re-imagine Belmont Park and create one of the finest sports and entertainment destinations in the country will require temporary adjustments to the traditional racing schedule," McKenna said in a statement sent to The Associated Press. "A Belmont Stakes at Saratoga Race Couse would capture the attention of the sports world while driving tourism and economic impact for upstate New York."

Elon Musk lost his case against Sam Altman
- 18 hours ago
CDF Syed Asim Munir departs for Iran on official visit
- 5 hours ago

Volvo teases a new affordable EV to replace discontinued EX30
- 18 hours ago

Our national parks are struggling
- 16 hours ago
US releases second batch of government declassified UFO files
- 4 hours ago

The most important election is the one most Americans skip
- 16 hours ago
Pakistan seeks breakthrough in US-Iran peace talks
- 3 hours ago
Air Chief Marshal Sidhu visits Türkiye, holds high-level meetings with defence leadership
- 5 hours ago

PM Shehbaz to visit China on four-day official visit from Saturday
- 7 hours ago
PCB announces squad for ODI series against Australia
- 8 hours ago

How to prepare for a huge disaster when you live in a tiny apartment
- 16 hours ago

Hopeful for Iran deal, in constant contact with Pakistan: Marco Rubio
- 3 hours ago
You May Like
Trending







