Israel has conducted renewed military sweeps this month of parts of northern Gaza

(Reuters): Israel's forces also took over some ground in Rafah, a southern city by the Egyptian border that is packed with displaced people and where the launch this month of a long-threatened incursion to crush hold-outs of Palestinian Islamist militant group Hamas has alarmed Cairo and Washington.
Exposing further cracks in Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu's government, Benny Gantz, a centrist member of the war cabinet, threatened to resign if the right-wing leader does not agree by June 8 to a day-after plan that would include how Gaza might be ruled after the war with Hamas.
In what Israeli media said was the result of intelligence gleaned during the latest incursions, the military announced the recovery of the body of a man who was among more than 250 hostages seized by Hamas in a cross-border rampage on October 7 that triggered the war.
Ron Binyamin's remains were located along with those of three other slain hostages whose repatriation was announced on Friday, the military said without providing further details.
Israel has conducted renewed military sweeps this month of parts of northern Gaza where it had declared the end of major operations in January. At the time, it also predicted its forces would return to prevent a regrouping by the Palestinian Islamist group that rules Gaza.
One site has been Jabalia, the largest of Gaza's eight historic refugee camps. On Saturday, troops and tanks edged into streets so far spared the ground offensive, residents said. In one strike, medics said 15 Palestinians were killed and dozens wounded.
The Gaza health ministry and the Civil Emergency Service said teams received dozens of calls about possible casualties but were unable to carry out any searches because of the ongoing ground offensive and aerial bombardment.
"Today is the most difficult in terms of the occupation bombardment, air strikes and tank shelling have going on almost non-stop," said one resident in Jabalia, Ibrahim Khaled, via a chat app.
"We know of dozens of people, martyrs (killed) and wounded, but no ambulance vehicle can get into the area," he told Reuters. The Israeli military said its forces have continued to operate in areas across Gaza including Jabalia and Rafah, carrying out what it called "precise operations against terrorists and infrastructure".
"The IAF (air force) continues to operate in the Gaza Strip, and struck over 70 terror targets during the past day, including weapons storage facilities, military infrastructure sites, terrorists who posed a threat to IDF troops, and military compounds," the military said in a statement.

China imposes 34% tariffs on US imports in trade war retaliation
- 6 hours ago
268th Corps Commander Conference reaffirms commitment to eradicate terrorism
- 6 hours ago

Ohtani's walk-off pushes Dodgers to historic 8-0
- 9 hours ago
PSX sees record surge, closes lower amid global market concerns
- 9 hours ago
50 Afghan nationals detained in Rawalpindi
- 8 hours ago
Two terrorists neutralised in IBO Balochistan's Kech IBO
- 3 hours ago

UK set to host 2035 Women’s World Cup, FIFA president confirms
- 8 hours ago

Bilawal reaffirms PPP's commitment to Zulfikar Ali Bhutto's legacy
- 4 hours ago
Magnitude 4.0 earthquake hits Arabian Gulf near Jubail
- 6 hours ago

Legendary rock band Metallica surpasses one billion benchmark on Spotify
- 4 hours ago

IMF delegation in Pakistan for technical support, budget discussions
- 9 hours ago

KP CM announces no forced expulsions of Afghan nationals
- 6 hours ago