Flanked by Federal Information Minister Fawad Chaudhary and Pakistan National Security Advisor (NSA) Moeed Yusuf Sunday addressing a press conference in Islamabad, Punjab Inspector General (IG) Police Inam Ghani provided an account of the events leading up to the Lahore Johar Town blast.

Punjab Police Chief was followed by NSA Moeed Yusuf who briefed the nation on intelligence gathered on the blast that took place in Lahore on June 23.
Before the Punjab IG briefing, Federal Information Minister Fawad Chaudhary provided initial and opening details of the investigation of the event that killed at last three citizens and injured 22, including two policemen.
Ghani noted that the blast occurred at 11:09 am on June 23 in Block E of Johar Town and an IED was used.
He then went on to share a timeline of the events leading up to the blast. "On June 21, this car had no explosive material, but he (Eid Gul) did a dry run and inspected the area and checked all entry points," he said.
"On June 22, Gul does reconnaissance in a rickshaw and familiarises himself with the area. Gul is originally from Afghanistan but has lived in Punjab all his life so no one suspected him," said the IGP.
The explosion also destroyed 12 cars and seven houses.
According to the provincial police chief, the CTD has apprehended the main perpetrators behind the attack, as well as their facilitators.
"Punjab's CTD has long been working on counter-terrorism and is at that stage of maturity where it can very quickly and capably connect the dots. As a result of this, not only did they unearth the entire plan [by the terrorists] within 16 hours of the incident, but also identified the names of all those involved."
Sharing extracts of the information that has surfaced in the police investigation so far, IG Punjab said the funding for carrying out the attack "came from abroad".
"We have [identified] the person who was deputized the task to carry out the reconnaissance and execute the attack," said IGP Ghani, identifying the suspect as Eid Gul.
"He took the car from Peter and did a dry run in Lahore," he added, referring to another suspect.
A day after the blast, law-enforcement agencies had arrested Peter Paul David after off-loading him from a Karachi-bound flight.
He was said to be the owner of the car used in the blast.
The IG said that Gul had chosen to take the motorway to Lahore because the local police had no presence along the route.
"He spent the next 12 hours on the motorway, even rested at a rest area," he said, adding that they had verified the details of his journey by checking his entry and exit time stamps on the motorway.
Speaking about the nature of the blast, IG Ghani said that around 20 kilogrammes of explosive material was packed into the car. "It was fitted in such a way ... that the car was blown apart into several small pieces. This shows the expertise of the person who fit the bomb in the car," he said.

Exclusive: Jonah Peretti explains why he sold BuzzFeed
- 2 hours ago

The most important election is the one most Americans skip
- 4 minutes ago
Army officers, soldiers, martyrs honoured with military awards at GHQ ceremony
- 15 hours ago

America’s dangerous, messy deepfakes crackdown is here
- 2 hours ago
President, PM reaffirm Pakistan’s commitment to strategic partnership with China
- 11 hours ago

Our national parks are struggling
- 5 minutes ago

How to prepare for a huge disaster when you live in a tiny apartment
- 4 minutes ago

Pakistan condemns unlawful interception of Global Sumud Flotilla by Israeli forces
- 15 hours ago

Ugreen’s new soccer ball-shaped tracker has up to 7 years of battery life
- 2 hours ago

Elon Musk lost his case against Sam Altman
- 2 hours ago
Israel deports all foreign Gaza flotilla activists
- 11 hours ago

Volvo teases a new affordable EV to replace discontinued EX30
- 2 hours ago








