In July, Trump used leverage of trade negotiations to broker a ceasefire

BANGKOK/PHNOM PENH (Reuters): Fighting between Thailand and Cambodia extended into a third day on Wednesday as US President Donald Trump said he would make a phone call to stop the conflict, after he had brokered a ceasefire in July to end a five-day battle between the Asian neighbours.
Thailand’s foreign minister said in an interview on Tuesday that he saw no potential for negotiations in the border conflict, adding the situation was not conducive to third-party mediation, while a top adviser to Cambodia’s Prime Minister Hun Manet told Reuters his country was “ready to talk at any time”.
Speaking at a rally in Pennsylvania on Tuesday, Trump listed a number of wars that he claimed he helped stop, including between Pakistan and India, and Israel and Iran, before stopping on the renewed conflict in Southeast Asia.
“I hate to say this one, named Cambodia-Thailand and it started up today and tomorrow I am going to have to make a phone call. Who else could say I’m going to make a phone call and stop a war of two very powerful countries, Thailand and Cambodia.”
Trump has previously spoken to leaders of both countries and been central to the fragile truce between them since the July battles, which killed at least 48 people and were the heaviest clashes between the two in recent history.
In July, Trump used the leverage of trade negotiations to broker a ceasefire.
Thai Foreign Minister Sihasak Phuangketkeow told Reuters he did not think the threat of tariffs should be used to pressure his country into talks.
Tensions have simmered since Thailand last month suspended de-escalation measures that were agreed at an October summit in Trump’s presence, after a Thai soldier was maimed by a landmine that Bangkok said was newly laid by Cambodia, which rejects the allegation.
Both countries have said they have evacuated hundreds of thousands of people from border areas.
As of Tuesday night, Cambodia’s Defence Ministry said nine civilians had been killed since Monday and 20 seriously injured, while Thai officials said four soldiers had been killed and 68 had been injured.
Thailand has made clear its aim is to dent its neighbour’s ability to launch attacks, with a top general on Monday saying the army’s objective was to “cripple Cambodia’s military capability for a long time to come”.
Cambodia’s Defence Ministry said its troops had no choice but to take defensive action on Tuesday, accusing Thailand of “indiscriminately and brutally targeting civilian residential areas” with artillery shells, allegations Bangkok rejected.

The surprising way that America’s $40 trillion debt costs you
- a day ago

How the Supreme Court remade religious liberty in the Christian right’s image
- a day ago

Indian airlines suffer around $2bn loss as Pakistan continues airspace closure
- 17 hours ago

Why nonalcoholic wine is so expensive
- a day ago

Samsung’s Galaxy Buds 3 Pro are almost half off today
- a day ago

The week the data center backlash exploded
- an hour ago
PM takes notice of non-functionality of CT Coronary Angiography facility at PIMS
- 15 hours ago

Cuba has plenty of doctors. So why is its healthcare system collapsing?
- a day ago

PM, Malaysian counterpart discuss regional developments
- 15 hours ago

At least 13 Tunisians missing after migrant boat sinks off Tunisia, group says
- 15 hours ago

The future of medicine is video games
- 16 hours ago

Trump’s latest assault on public lands
- a day ago





