IOM said the boat overturned north of Zuwara on Friday, in the latest disaster involving migrants attempting the perilous Mediterranean crossing in the hope of reaching Europe

AFP: The UN migration agency on Monday said 53 people were dead or missing after a boat capsized in the Mediterranean Sea off the Libyan coast. Only two survivors were rescued.
The International Organisation for Migration (IOM) said the boat overturned north of Zuwara on Friday, in the latest disaster involving migrants attempting the perilous Mediterranean crossing in the hope of reaching Europe.
“Only two Nigerian women were rescued during a search-and-rescue operation by Libyan authorities,” the IOM said in a statement, adding that one of the survivors said she lost her husband and the other said “she lost her two babies in the tragedy”.
The IOM said its teams provided the two survivors with emergency medical care upon disembarkation.
“According to survivor accounts, the boat — carrying migrants and refugees of African nationalities departed from Al-Zawiya, Libya, at around 11:00 pm on February 5. Approximately six hours later, it capsized after taking on water,” the agency said.
“IOM mourns the loss of life in yet another deadly incident along the Central Mediterranean route.”
The Geneva-based agency said trafficking and smuggling networks were exploiting migrants along the route from north Africa to southern Europe, profiting from dangerous crossings in unseaworthy boats while exposing people to “severe abuse”.
At least 53 migrants, including two babies, are dead or missing after a boat capsized off the coast of Libya.
— IOM Spokesperson (@IOMSpokesperson) February 9, 2026
These tragedies are preventable. Urgent action is needed to protect lives and ensure safe, regular pathways on the Central Mediterranean route. https://t.co/crr3B1Y8tN pic.twitter.com/coEHlcKiXB
It called for stronger international cooperation to tackle the networks, alongside safe and regular migration pathways to reduce risks and save lives.
The IOM fears that hundreds of people have died since the start of the year attempting to cross the Mediterranean, amid harsh weather conditions on the dangerous crossing.
The European Commission’s spokesperson said Brussels was trying to address the root causes of irregular migration and promote legal, safe and orderly pathways to the European Union.
“These tragic events once again underline the need to intensify joint efforts with our partners, including Libya, to prevent such dangerous journeys and to combat the criminal networks of migrant smugglers that put lives at risk,” the spokesperson told AFP.
Between the start of 2014 and the end of 2025, more than 33,000 migrants died or went missing in the Mediterranean, according to the IOM’s Missing Migrants Project.
Last year, it recorded 1,873 missing or dead in the Mediterranean, including 1,342 on the central route.

Pakistan condemns unlawful interception of Global Sumud Flotilla by Israeli forces
- 2 hours ago
PM reaffirms resolve to ensure success of CPEC next phase
- 21 hours ago

Leaked images reveal Xbox Elite 3 controller
- 14 hours ago

Dyson’s super-slim PencilWash just hit its best price to date for Memorial Day
- 14 hours ago

MAGA’s favorite psychedelic
- 12 hours ago

Musk v. Altman proved that AI is led by the wrong people
- 14 hours ago
Army officers, soldiers, martyrs honoured with military awards at GHQ ceremony
- 2 hours ago

Apple’s accessibility features add more AI-powered processing
- 14 hours ago

Xbox fans want exclusives, more backward compatibility, and free online multiplayer
- 14 hours ago

Microsoft starts canceling Claude Code licenses
- 14 hours ago

This animal kills 100,000 people a year. Why can’t we stop it?
- 12 hours ago
WHO says Ebola risk high regionally, low worldwide
- a day ago



