US court defers Britney Spears’s father from conservatorship
A judge in the United States has suspended Britney Spears’s father from the conservatorship that has harnessed the singer’s life and money for 13 years.


Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Brenda Penny on Wednesday agreed with a petition from Spears and her lawyer, Mathew Rosengart, that James Spears needs to give up his role as conservator.
“The current situation is not tenable. It reflects a toxic environment which requires the suspension of Jamie Spears effective today,” Penny said during a court hearing.
The move is a crucial victory for the pop star, who pleaded in dramatic hearings in June and July that her father needed to be cut out.
James Spears sought the conservatorship in 2008 and had been its primary controller and biggest champion. However, he reversed course in recent weeks, asking the judge to end the conservatorship.
Britney Spears and Rosengart agreed that the conservatorship should end and said in court documents that James Spears’s removal was a necessary first step.
The conservatorship has been increasingly scrutinised as Britney Spears, 39, has sought for months to have her father removed as the overseer of her $60m estate.
She told the court in June the arrangement was “abusive, embarrassing and humiliating”, and included her being prohibited from removing an intrauterine contraceptive device (IUD) to become pregnant.
“If Ms Spears wants to terminate the conservatorship and believes that she can handle her own life, Mr Spears believes she should get that chance,” said the petition to terminate the legal arrangement.
Britney Spears, who shot to international fame as a teenager in the early 2000s, was placed under the conservatorship after suffering a public mental health breakdown. The nature of her mental health issues has never been revealed.
In late 2009, she returned to performing, recording several more albums, and going on sell-out world tours until her last performance in late 2018.
Source: Al Jazeera

PSX hits record high following announcement of electricity tariff cuts
- 6 گھنٹے قبل
18-year-old dies from Congo virus in Quetta
- 7 گھنٹے قبل
Hollywood star Jean-Claude Van Damme accused of having sex with five women: report
- 9 گھنٹے قبل

Nazia Hassan: Celebrating legacy of a pop icon on her 60th birthday
- 7 گھنٹے قبل
3-year-old dies after falling into open manhole in Karachi
- 11 گھنٹے قبل

Gold prices hit new peak at Rs325,500 per tola
- 6 گھنٹے قبل

Mohsin Naqvi appointed president of Asian Cricket Council: Sources
- 8 گھنٹے قبل

Trump’s tariffs stoke global trade war as China, EU hit back
- 8 گھنٹے قبل
Indian actress Shalini Pandey reveals dark side of film industry
- 11 گھنٹے قبل

Met Office forecasts Karachi's temperature rising up to 40°C this week
- 7 گھنٹے قبل
Former Pakistan test cricketer Farooq Hamid passes away
- 9 گھنٹے قبل
PM Shehbaz announces Rs7.41 per unit electricity price cut
- 10 گھنٹے قبل