Connect with us

Crime

SC wraps up Dua Zehra case after father withdraws plea

“The case did not fall within the ambit of SC”

Published

on

By

SC wraps up Dua Zehra case after father withdraws plea
GNN Media: Representational Photo

Islamabad: Supreme Court's Karachi registry on Thursday wrapped up the Dua Zehra Case after her father withdrew his plea challenging Sindh High Court's verdict in the case pertaining to the teenager's recovery.

A three-member bench of the apex, comprising Justice Sajjad Ali Shah, Justice Muneeb Akhtar, and Justice Muhammad Ali Mazhar, announced the reserved verdict on a plea of Dua Zehra’s father. The apex court heard the case in the Supreme Court Karachi Registry.

The top court in its verdict has asked Mehdi Kazmi to approach the relevant forum for the formation of the medical board in Dua Zehra case.

“The case did not fall within the ambit of SC,” the top court ruled.

Dua Zehra’s father Syed Mehdi Ali Kazmi had filed an appeal in the Supreme Court against the Sindh High Court's June 8 decision that ruled out the abduction of his daughter.

The father claimed that the Sindh High Court allowed Dua to exercise her free will based on her statement and medical test that puts her age between 16 to 17 years. The Court ignored her educational certificates and National Database and Registration Authority (NADRA) record that states her age as 14 years, the petition said.

On April 16, Dua Zehra went missing from near her house in Alfalah Town Karachi and an abduction report was registered. Later, the girl was found in Lahore and married Zaheer Ahmed. 

The girl in a video message alleged that she left her parents willingly and claimed that her age is 17 years. However, the parents from the outset have been claiming that the girl is nearly 14 and she has been giving statements under pressure.

Pakistan

Saad Rafique briefs PM Shehbaz on reforms

During the meeting, the political situation in the country was discussed.

Published by GNN WebDesk

Published

on

By

Saad Rafique briefs PM Shehbaz on reforms

Lahore: Minister for Railways and Aviation Khawaja Saad Rafiq Saturday called on Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and apprised him over the reforms process in railways and aviation sectors.

During the meeting, the political situation in the country was discussed.

The prime minister was further apprised that implementation of COVID-19 related Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) were being ensured during travelling in railways and airlines and especially on the occasion of Eid.

Earlier in tha day, Pakistan Railways has announced to run three special trains on the occasion of Eid-ul-Azha on multiple routes to facilitate passengers. 

The spokesperson of Pakistan railways said that the first Eid special train will leave from Quetta to Peshawar on Friday at 10 am. 

The second special train will leave Karachi for Lahore on Friday, while the third Eid special train from Lahore to Karachi on July 13. 

Continue Reading

World

Strong earthquake jolts southern Iran; kills five, injures several

There were more than a dozen aftershocks.

Published by GNN WebDesk

Published

on

By

Strong earthquake jolts southern Iran; kills five, injures several

Tehran: At least five people have been killed while 44 others sustained injuries after a magnitude-6.3 earthquake jolted southern Iran on Saturday, state media reported. 

At least five people were killed by a magnitude 6.1 earthquake, with the area also hit by two later strong quakes of up to 6.3 magnitudes. 

There were more than a dozen aftershocks.

The quake was relatively shallow at a depth of roughly 10 kilometers and its epicenter was in a comparatively sparsely populated area.

Rescue teams were deployed near the epicenter, Sayeh Khosh village, which is home to around 300 people in Hormozgan province. 

People went into the streets as aftershocks continued to jolt the area after the early morning quake, which also damaged buildings and infrastructure. 

Iran's deadliest quake was a 7.4-magnitude tremor that struck in 1990, killing 40,000 people in the north of the country. 

Continue Reading

Health

Health minister urges citizens to follow SOPs amid Covid-19 surge

Government is taking effective measures to control the spread of coronavirus in the country.

Published by GNN WebDesk

Published

on

By

Health minister urges citizens to follow SOPs amid Covid-19 surge

Islamabad: Minister for Health Abdul Qadir Patel has urged citizens to follow Standard Operating Procedures against COVID-19 as 818 new cases were reported in the country over the last twenty-four hours.

In a video message regarding the current corona situation, he said the government is taking effective measures to control the spread of coronavirus in the country.

The Minister said National Command and Control Centre meets on daily basis to closely monitor the cases of coronavirus.

Meanwhile, four people died due to corona infection in the country during last twenty-four hours.

According to National Institute of Health, over 18,300 tests were conducted during this period and the positivity ratio was 4.47 percent.

Continue Reading

Trending