Connect with us

Sports

Australian Open downgraded to eight

Melbourne: The decreasing number of positive COVID-19 cases are linked to the Australian Open being downgraded to eight. Local agencies managing the quarantine of players and officials sates declining of active coronavirus cases.

Published

on

By

Australian Open downgraded to eight
GNN Media: Representational Photo

 

The Australian Open is due to begin on February 8

As per the latest report, eight positive cases were linked to Australian Open with one person cleared to leave the mandatory quarantine the number stands at seven. More than 70 players have also been forced to isolate in hotel rooms for at least two weeks

It is important to mention that, Spain's Paula Badosa was the first to contract the virus when she tested positive on her seventh day in quarantine. 2019 US Open champion Bianca Andreescu coach Sylvain Bruneau also tested positive after arriving in Melbourne.

Players are allowed five hours outside their rooms each day to train. After the 14-day isolation they will be allowed to train normally and then compete at tune-up events at Melbourne Park.

Australia recorded a 10th straight day of no new local COVID-19 cases, while Victoria State has gone three weeks without a local case.

Sports

US Open champion Raducanu faces exit from Wimbledon

Emma Raducanu has struggled with a string of minor injuries since her sensational win at Flushing Meadows last year.

Published by GNN WebDesk

Published

on

By

US Open champion Raducanu faces exit from Wimbledon

US Open champion Emma Raducanu crashed out of Wimbledon on Wednesday, losing her second-round match against Caroline Garcia 6-3, 6-3 to the disappointment of the British home crowd.

The 10th seed, who was troubled by a side strain in the run-up to the Grand Slam, was broken five times in the match on Centre Court by her French opponent, ranked 55 in the world.

Raducanu, 19, was on the back foot early in the contest after being broken in her first service game and won just 45 percent of points on her first serve.

Garcia, fresh from winning on grass at Bad Homberg, hit 25 winners in an impressive display.

"Emma is a huge player and in her home tournament and she proved she can do very well on the big stage," said Garcia.

"I really enjoyed playing on Centre Court, it was my first time and very special."

Raducanu has struggled with a string of minor injuries since her sensational win at Flushing Meadows last year.

She has also come under scrutiny over her failure to settle on a long-term coach.

SOURCE: AFP

Continue Reading

World

Journalist shot dead in latest attack on Mexico media workers

Presidential spokesperson Jesus Ramirez said on Twitter the journalist's daughter also was injured in the attack

Published by GNN WebDesk

Published

on

By

Journalist shot dead in latest attack on Mexico media workers

A Mexican journalist was killed in the northern state of Tamaulipas on Wednesday, the newspaper he worked for said, the latest in a series of attacks in one of the world's most dangerous countries for media workers.

Antonio de la Cruz, a journalist for local newspaper Expreso, was gunned down in his home in the state capital Ciudad Victoria, the paper said.

His death comes after eight others in the media have been murdered in Mexico this year as a result of their journalism, according to human rights organization Article 19.

Presidential spokesperson Jesus Ramirez said on Twitter the journalist's daughter also was injured in the attack.

"We must not allow any more attacks on journalists and activists. These crimes will not go unpunished," Ramirez wrote.

The paper's parent company Expreso-La Razon demanded justice from authorities.

The Tamaulipas attorney general's office said in a statement it had opened an investigation into the incident and that police are collecting evidence and hunting for the attackers.

Violence against the press has skyrocketed during Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador's administration, according to a report published by Article 19.

SOURCE: REUTERS

Continue Reading

Pakistan

Pakistan reports 541 COVID cases, first time in three months 

An uptick in new COVID-19 cases in Pakistan consistently continues as the country reported over 500 new daily cases for the first time in three months. 

Published by GNN WebDesk

Published

on

By

Pakistan reports 541 COVID cases, first time in three months 

Islamabad: Pakistan has reported one death and 541 new COVID-19 cases during the last 24 hours, the highest since March 11 when it recorded 571 positive cases. 

According to the figures released by the National Institute of Health (NIH) on Wednesday, an uptick in new COVID-19 cases in Pakistan consistently continues as the country reported over 500 new daily cases for the first time in three months. 

Following the situation, the health ministry said that wearing mask has been made mandatory on all domestic flights, railways and public transport.  

The overall tally of the infected people climbed to 1,535,144 across Pakistan after adding the fresh cases.  

March 23 was the first day without any recorded deaths in Pakistan since the pandemic took hold in 2020. Official death figures are typically lower at weekends and holidays because of a lag in reporting.  

The health authorities have advised the people to restart following COVID related Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) such as wearing face masks, sanitizing hands, and maintaining social distance.

 

Continue Reading

Trending