The IOC said it is "saddened by the abuse" that Algeria's Imane Khelif and Taiwan's Lin Yu-ting have faced at the Paris Olympics, saying, "Every person has the right to practice sport without discrimination."

Published 2 years ago on Aug 4th 2024, 11:00 am
By Web Desk

PARIS -- The International Olympic Committee on Thursday defended its decision to allow two female boxers to compete at the Paris Olympics despite an ongoing gender controversy, saying the pair were facing "aggression" because of an arbitrary decision.
Algeria's Imane Khelif, who won her round of 16 welterweight bout over Italy's Angela Carini in 46 seconds, and Taiwan's double world champion Lin Yu-ting, who is fighting on Friday, have been cleared to compete in the Olympics.
Khelif's lightning-quick win over Carini, who decided to pull out after a barrage of punches, piled more pressure on the IOC for allowing Khelif and Lin to box in Paris.
"The IOC is saddened by the abuse that the two athletes are currently receiving," the IOC said in a statement Thursday. "Every person has the right to practice sport without discrimination."
Khelif and Lin were disqualified by the International Boxing Association at the 2023 world championships after failing an unspecified gender eligibility test.
The IBA was stripped of its recognition by the IOC last year over governance and finance issues, and the Olympic body is now running the boxing competition in Paris.
The IOC said the IBA decision to disqualify the boxers last year was arbitrary and the main cause for the furor that has seen people such as British author J. K. Rowling and billionaire Elon Musk voice their opposition to them competing in the Games.
"These two athletes were the victims of a sudden and arbitrary decision by the IBA," the IOC said in its statement. "Towards the end of the IBA World Championships in 2023, they were suddenly disqualified without any due process.
"According to the IBA minutes available on their website, this decision was initially taken solely by the IBA Secretary General and CEO."
The IBA issued a statement Wednesday in which it said both boxers did not have a "testosterone examination" last year but were "subject to a separate and recognized test" for their disqualification. The IBA said the test's "specifics remain confidential" and refused to explain it.
In a second statement Thursday, the IBA condemned "inconsistencies in eligibility" at the Games.
"Both Imane Khelif and Lin Yu-ting post testing, did not meet the required eligibility criteria to compete within the female category of our respective events," the body added.
"The urgent nature of the decision (to disqualify the boxers) was justified, as the safety of our boxers is our top priority."
The IOC said the rules of eligibility this year were based on those of the Tokyo Games in 2021 and cannot be changed during a competition.
"The current aggression against these two athletes is based entirely on this arbitrary decision, which was taken without any proper procedure -- especially considering that these athletes had been competing in top-level competition for many years," the IOC said.
The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.
Algeria's Imane Khelif, who won her round of 16 welterweight bout over Italy's Angela Carini in 46 seconds, and Taiwan's double world champion Lin Yu-ting, who is fighting on Friday, have been cleared to compete in the Olympics.
Khelif's lightning-quick win over Carini, who decided to pull out after a barrage of punches, piled more pressure on the IOC for allowing Khelif and Lin to box in Paris.
"The IOC is saddened by the abuse that the two athletes are currently receiving," the IOC said in a statement Thursday. "Every person has the right to practice sport without discrimination."
Khelif and Lin were disqualified by the International Boxing Association at the 2023 world championships after failing an unspecified gender eligibility test.
The IBA was stripped of its recognition by the IOC last year over governance and finance issues, and the Olympic body is now running the boxing competition in Paris.
The IOC said the IBA decision to disqualify the boxers last year was arbitrary and the main cause for the furor that has seen people such as British author J. K. Rowling and billionaire Elon Musk voice their opposition to them competing in the Games.
"These two athletes were the victims of a sudden and arbitrary decision by the IBA," the IOC said in its statement. "Towards the end of the IBA World Championships in 2023, they were suddenly disqualified without any due process.
"According to the IBA minutes available on their website, this decision was initially taken solely by the IBA Secretary General and CEO."
The IBA issued a statement Wednesday in which it said both boxers did not have a "testosterone examination" last year but were "subject to a separate and recognized test" for their disqualification. The IBA said the test's "specifics remain confidential" and refused to explain it.
In a second statement Thursday, the IBA condemned "inconsistencies in eligibility" at the Games.
"Both Imane Khelif and Lin Yu-ting post testing, did not meet the required eligibility criteria to compete within the female category of our respective events," the body added.
"The urgent nature of the decision (to disqualify the boxers) was justified, as the safety of our boxers is our top priority."
The IOC said the rules of eligibility this year were based on those of the Tokyo Games in 2021 and cannot be changed during a competition.
"The current aggression against these two athletes is based entirely on this arbitrary decision, which was taken without any proper procedure -- especially considering that these athletes had been competing in top-level competition for many years," the IOC said.
The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.
Australia, Ireland out of T20 World Cup as Zimbabwe qualify after washout
- 13 hours ago

Is Grindr Dead?
- 20 minutes ago
Tarique Rahman sworn in as Bangladesh’s PM after landslide election victory
- 14 hours ago

US and Iran begin nuclear talks in Geneva as threat of war looms, Khamenei warns Trump
- 14 hours ago
Ramazan moon sighted in Saudi Arabia, UAE; first fast tomorrow
- 10 hours ago

Credit card theft, penis injections, and other weird scandals from the 2026 Olympic Games
- 20 minutes ago

Samsung ad confirms rumors of a useful S26 ‘privacy display’
- 2 hours ago

Trump’s biggest war is one he almost never talks about
- 19 minutes ago
Karachi AC survives petrol bomb assault in Lea Market
- 10 hours ago

How the left taught the right to hate white women
- 19 minutes ago

Pakistan, Bangladesh vow to work for regional peace, stability
- 10 hours ago

How to un-Big Tech your online life
- 2 hours ago
You May Like
Trending








