After some of the heaviest cross-border exchanges of fire since the hostilities flared

Jerusalem (Reuters): Israel attacked hundreds of Hezbollah targets on Monday in airstrikes which Lebanese health authorities said killed at least 182 people, making it the deadliest day in Lebanon in nearly a year of conflict with its Iran-backed enemy.
After some of the heaviest cross-border exchanges of fire since the hostilities flared, Israel warned people to evacuate areas where it said the armed movement was storing weapons.
After almost a year of war against Hamas in Gaza on its southern border, Israel is shifting its focus to its northern frontier, from where Hezbollah has been firing rockets into Israel in support of its ally Hamas.
Israel's military on Monday targeted Hezbollah in Lebanon's south, eastern Bekaa valley and northern region near Syria in its most widespread strikes.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel faced "complicated days" as it stepped up attacks against Hezbollah in southern Lebanon and called on Israelis to stay united as the campaign unfolded.
"I promised that we would change the security balance, the balance of power in the north - that is exactly what we are doing," he said in a message following a situational assessment at military headquarters in Tel Aviv.
Earlier, Israel's Defence Minister Yoav Gallant said the actions would continue until "we achieve our goal to return the northern residents safely to their homes," setting the stage for a long conflict as Hezbollah has vowed to fight on until there is a ceasefire in Gaza.
Lebanon's health ministry said at least 182 people had been killed, including women, children and medics, and 727 were wounded in Israel's strikes on Monday.
Israeli army spokesperson Avichay Adraee said on X that more than 300 Hezbollah targets had been struck so far after earlier warning that air strikes were imminent on houses in Lebanon where "Hezbollah hid weapons".
Reuters could not independently verify Israel's allegation that Hezbollah had stored weapons in homes and villages.
In response, Israel's arch foe Hezbollah said it had targeted a military base in northern Israel with dozens of missiles.
CTD arrests female suicide bomber in Dera Ismail Khan
- 5 hours ago
FIFA pledges $50M for soccer stadium in Gaza
- 9 hours ago
Fabregas 'not proud' of incident with Milan player
- 9 hours ago
Pakistan, US desire to enhance economic cooperation
- 5 hours ago
Altidore joins Westbrook in OKC for Soccer group
- 9 hours ago
T20 WC: Match between Pakistan, New Zealand cancelled because of rain
- 8 hours ago
Argentina soccer prez barred from leaving country
- 9 hours ago
'Special': Cunningham makes MVP case vs. Knicks
- 9 hours ago
19 sentenced to jail for AFCON final hooliganism
- 9 hours ago
Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
- 5 hours ago
Forest show 'real identity' in dream Pereira debut
- 9 hours ago
England captain Brook says a ‘shame’ if Pakistan players snubbed for Hundred competition
- 4 hours ago









