Deputy chief Naim Qassem says the group is ready for any Israeli ground offensive

(AFP): Hezbollah vowed on Monday to keep fighting Israel in support of Gaza after its leader was killed in a massive wave of air strikes on Lebanon that dealt the group a seismic blow.
In a televised address on Monday, the group’s deputy chief Naim Qassem said a new leader to replace Hassan Nasrallah, who enjoyed cult status among his supporters, would be selected “at the earliest opportunity”.
He also said the group was ready for any Israeli ground offensive, even though Israel’s bombardment of its targets has in the past week killed a large number of its top commanders and officials.
Hezbollah began low-intensity cross-border strikes on Israeli troops a day after its Palestinian ally Hamas staged its unprecedented attack on Israel on October 7, triggering conflict in the Gaza Strip.
Israel said earlier this month that it was shifting its focus from Gaza to securing its northern border with Lebanon, in order to allow Israelis displaced since October to return to their homes.
It has also not ruled out a ground offensive to achieve its goals.
The strikes on Lebanon have killed hundreds and forced hundreds of thousands more to flee their homes, and left people across the region fearful of more violence to come.
Qassem said Hezbollah would continue “confronting the Israeli enemy in support of Gaza and Palestine, in defence of Lebanon and its people, and in response to the assassinations and the killing of civilians”.
“We will face any scenario and we are ready if Israel decides to enter by land, the resistance forces are ready for any ground confrontation,” he added.

Jaguar offers a first look inside the all-electric Type 01
- 3 hours ago

Why scientists are using cheap picnic coolers to protect some of the world’s most endangered animals
- 31 minutes ago
Google is making the Pixel cameras better by making them worse
- 12 hours ago

Why babies’ experiences matter (even if they can’t remember them)
- 31 minutes ago

Polaroid’s tiny instant camera is $72 and includes a free pack of film
- 12 hours ago
The Pixel Tag is Google’s answer to the AirTag
- 11 hours ago
Supreme Court orders transfer of jailed ex-PM Imran Khan to Shifa Hospital for medical checkup
- 3 hours ago

Meet the man who spent $15K on Beyoncé tickets
- 10 hours ago

It doesn’t have to be this hard to get divorced
- 10 hours ago
Saudi Arabia resumes oil loadings, sales from inside Strait of Hormuz
- 24 minutes ago
Google’s Pixel 11 series pairs a little new hardware with a lot of new software
- 11 hours ago

Hasan Piker isn’t retreating
- 30 minutes ago




