Fire began around 3:30am on restaurant floor of the 12-storey Grand Kartal Hotel


Kartalkaya: A fire at a ski resort hotel in Turkey's Bolu mountains killed 76 people and injured dozens on Tuesday, forcing panicked guests to jump out of windows in the middle of the night.
“It was like the apocalypse. The flames engulfed the hotel immediately, like in half an hour,” said Mevlut Ozer, who witnessed the incident at the Kartalkaya ski resort in northwest Turkey.
The fire began around 3:30am on the restaurant floor of the 12-storey Grand Kartal Hotel, authorities said.
Several fire engines and ambulances later surrounded the charred, wood-fronted building, where white bed sheets tied together dangled from at least three upper-floor windows, showing how people tried to flee.
President Tayyip Erdogan declared Wednesday a day of national mourning after the incident.
“People all started to jump with panic. One friend jumped from the 11th floor - may God have mercy on him,” said Omer Sakrak, another witness and employee of a neighboring hotel.
“They tried to climb down using bedsheets. The bedsheets ripped as one friend tried and he unfortunately fell on his head,” he told Reuters. “One father was yelling about his one-year-old child: ‘I will throw my child or he will burn’”.
Hotel guests told TV broadcasters they fled through smoke-filled corridors and heard no alarms.
Interior Minister Ali Yerlikaya said there had been 238 guests staying at the hotel, situated at the base of several ski slopes, which smoldered until the afternoon.
“Our pain is impossible to describe,” he said, speaking from the resort and offering condolences. Yerlikaya said the fire was out and that search efforts at the hotel had finished.
Authorities are conducting DNA tests to identify some of the bodies recovered from the scene of the fire, he added.
An investigation was underway into the fire, which happened during school holidays when many families from nearby Istanbul and Ankara headed to the Bolu mountains to ski.
Police detained nine people as part of the investigation, Yerlikaya said, adding that prosecutors will shed light on the cause of the fire and people responsible will be brought to justice.
SOURCE: REUTERS

US tariff hikes may slow global growth: Russian central bank
- 9 hours ago

Google discontinues Nest Protect smoke alarm and Nest x Yale door lock
- 2 hours ago

PSL X anthem ‘X Dekho’ unveiled
- 9 hours ago

Self-driving taxis coming to Dubai by 2026, says RTA
- 13 hours ago

Yale’s new smart lock can match your Google Nest doorbell
- 2 hours ago

From a famed Russian basketball academy to Provo, Egor Demin is dialed in
- 14 hours ago

What's going on with Rafael Devers? Putting his historic strikeout streak into context
- 36 minutes ago

Naqvi briefs PM Shehbaz on security, others issues
- 10 hours ago

Bueckers, Betts, Booker among Wooden finalists
- 36 minutes ago

First Alert’s new smart smoke alarm is meant to be a Google Nest Protect replacement
- 2 hours ago

NBA play-in tournament 2025: Schedule, standings, format
- 36 minutes ago

Judge dismisses Samsung’s smart ring lawsuit against Oura
- 2 hours ago