- The Pittsburgh Pirates have angered the family of Roberto Clemente by removing a sign honoring the franchise icon on the right-field wall at PNC Park.

Published a year ago on Apr 8th 2025, 6:00 am
By Web Desk

The Pirates announced Sunday that they would be adding the No. 21 logo back to the right field wall to honor Roberto Clemente at PNC Park after the franchise icon's family expressed its unhappiness that the sign was removed for an advertisement.
"We did not intend to disrespect the legacy of Roberto Clemente by adding the advertisement to the pad in right field," Pirates president Travis Williams said in a statement.
"When we added the advertisement to the pad, it was an oversight not to keep the No. 21 logo. This is ultimately on me, not anyone else in the organization. It was an honest mistake. We will be adding the No. 21 logo back to the pad."
Williams added: "We want to make sure that the Clemente family understands that we intended no disrespect to their father. We look forward to continuing our relationship with the Clemente family and apologize to them and our fans for our honest mistake."
The sign, which had been on the right-field wall since 2022, featured Clemente's name and his No. 21, but it was replaced with an advertisement for Surfside, an alcoholic drink.
The right-field wall at PNC Park stands 21 feet high in honor of Clemente.
Earlier Sunday, Roberto Clemente Jr. expressed his family's unhappiness in a prepared statement.
"This change was made without any communication or consultation with our family," Clemente's statement said in part. "While we appreciate that the Pirates acknowledged their failure to inform us, it reveals a broader issue: a lack of meaningful collaboration between the organization and on matters that are deeply personal and historically significant to us and the fans.
"The outpouring of support from fans in Pittsburgh and across the country has been overwhelming and deeply appreciated. It is clear that our father's legacy continues to inspire and unite people, not only for his achievements on the field, but for the integrity and compassion he demonstrated off of it.
"We have always been open to building a sincere and lasting partnership with the Pirates, one grounded in respect and shared values," the statement continued. "Our hope is that this moment serves as an opportunity for reflection, paving the way for a more thoughtful, transparent, and collaborative relationship moving forward. I intend to reach out to the Pirates directly to explore this further."
Clemente spent his career with the Pirates from 1955 to 1972. He played in 15 All-Star Games and won 12 Gold Glove awards, four batting titles and the 1966 National League MVP.
Clemente died in a plane crash off the coast of San Juan in his native Puerto Rico on New Year's Eve in 1972 while attempting to deliver supplies to earthquake-ravaged Nicaragua. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame the following summer.
"We did not intend to disrespect the legacy of Roberto Clemente by adding the advertisement to the pad in right field," Pirates president Travis Williams said in a statement.
"When we added the advertisement to the pad, it was an oversight not to keep the No. 21 logo. This is ultimately on me, not anyone else in the organization. It was an honest mistake. We will be adding the No. 21 logo back to the pad."
Williams added: "We want to make sure that the Clemente family understands that we intended no disrespect to their father. We look forward to continuing our relationship with the Clemente family and apologize to them and our fans for our honest mistake."
The sign, which had been on the right-field wall since 2022, featured Clemente's name and his No. 21, but it was replaced with an advertisement for Surfside, an alcoholic drink.
The right-field wall at PNC Park stands 21 feet high in honor of Clemente.
Earlier Sunday, Roberto Clemente Jr. expressed his family's unhappiness in a prepared statement.
"This change was made without any communication or consultation with our family," Clemente's statement said in part. "While we appreciate that the Pirates acknowledged their failure to inform us, it reveals a broader issue: a lack of meaningful collaboration between the organization and on matters that are deeply personal and historically significant to us and the fans.
"The outpouring of support from fans in Pittsburgh and across the country has been overwhelming and deeply appreciated. It is clear that our father's legacy continues to inspire and unite people, not only for his achievements on the field, but for the integrity and compassion he demonstrated off of it.
"We have always been open to building a sincere and lasting partnership with the Pirates, one grounded in respect and shared values," the statement continued. "Our hope is that this moment serves as an opportunity for reflection, paving the way for a more thoughtful, transparent, and collaborative relationship moving forward. I intend to reach out to the Pirates directly to explore this further."
Clemente spent his career with the Pirates from 1955 to 1972. He played in 15 All-Star Games and won 12 Gold Glove awards, four batting titles and the 1966 National League MVP.
Clemente died in a plane crash off the coast of San Juan in his native Puerto Rico on New Year's Eve in 1972 while attempting to deliver supplies to earthquake-ravaged Nicaragua. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame the following summer.

16 militants including two key commanders killed in successful security operation in Bannu
- 12 hours ago

Security forces killed 11 indian backed militants during IBO in North Waziristan
- 9 hours ago

The worst kind of cancer suddenly isn’t so scary anymore
- 2 days ago

PM Shehbaz meets Zhejiang leadership, Punjab-Zhejiang sister province MoU signed
- a day ago

Field Marshal Asim Munir meets Iranian President, parliament speaker to discuss Iran-U.S. talks
- a day ago

Pakistan will soon march alongside China on the path of regional development,says PM Shehbaz
- 12 hours ago

Democrats don’t need an autopsy to know what they did wrong
- a day ago

Pakistan hopes to host next round of Iran-US Talks soon, says PM Shehbaz
- 12 hours ago

PM Shehbaz leaves for China on four-day official visit
- 2 days ago

Deadly blast near Chaman railway crossing in Quetta kills 14, Including FC personnel
- 13 hours ago

Field Marshal Asim Munir’s Iran visit highly productive, encouraging progress Achieved: ISPR
- a day ago

Field Marshal Asim Munir meets Iranian Abbas Araghchi to discuss Iran-U.S. talks
- 2 days ago
You May Like
Trending








