'Conspiracy hatched' behind sudden cancellation of Pak-NZ cricket series: Sheikh Rashid
Islamabad: Interior Minister Sheikh Rashid has hinted at conspiracy behind the sudden cancellation of Pak-NZ cricket series, saying the unilateral decision by the New Zealand government has no logic.


"New Zealand has taken a unilateral decision to cancel the Pakistan tour despite the country's tight security arrangements for the team," the minister told a press conference.
The press conference comes following New Zealand Cricket's decision to cancel its tour of Pakistan citing a "security alert".
He went on to say that the New Zealand authorities didn't have substantive proof of a threat in Pakistan.
Rashid said Pakistan had proposed holding the matches without spectators, but the New Zealand authorities did not agree to that. Following this, the Pakistani officials spoke to Prime Minister Imran Khan who is currently in Tajikistan.
"The premier called New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and assured her of providing complete security to the Kiwis. The New Zealand prime minister said there was no issue of a threat."
However, Ardern said the NZ government had "received intelligence that the team could be attacked when it steps out to go to the stadium", Rashid added.
"Earlier today, New Zealand Cricket informed us they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series," a statement from the PCB said.
"Pakistan Cricket Board and Pakistan Government made foolproof security arrangements for all visiting teams. We have assured the New Zealand Cricket of the same," the statement said.
Pakistan Cricket Board's new chairman Ramiz Raja said it was frustrating to see the "unilateral approach" of New Zealand over security, adding that Pakistan would take the matter to the International Cricket Council.
Crazy day it has been! Feel so sorry for the fans and our players. Walking out of the tour by taking a unilateral approach on a security threat is very frustrating. Especially when it’s not shared!! Which world is NZ living in??NZ will hear us at ICC.
— Ramiz Raja (@iramizraja) September 17, 2021
"NZ will hear us at the ICC," Raja said in tweet.

OpenAI just raised another $40 billion round led by SoftBank
- 3 hours ago

Trump’s tariffs are a doomed attempt at time travel
- 36 minutes ago

Gmail is making it easier for businesses to send encrypted emails to anyone
- 3 hours ago

The extraordinary reason why scientists are collecting sea turtle tears
- 35 minutes ago

The space race heats up: all the news on the latest rocket launches
- 3 hours ago

Hasan Piker on why the boys are all right (wing)
- 35 minutes ago

A shady, shuttered tech bootcamp may be sneaking back online
- 3 hours ago

Source: Raiders, QB Smith reach $75M extension
- 2 hours ago

Thousands of federal health workers are losing their jobs in the US
- 3 hours ago

How Wisconsin explains America
- 36 minutes ago

ChatGPT’s improved image generation is now available for free
- 3 hours ago

How Trump’s tariffs could help China
- 36 minutes ago