In Eastern Afghanistan, three gunmen attacked a wedding to stop music that was being played in the ceremony, killing at least two people and injuring 10 others.


In Eastern Afghanistan, three gunmen attacked a wedding to stop music that was being played in the ceremony, killing at least two people and injuring 10 others.
As per officials two of the three gunmen—who identified themselves as Taliban— had been arrested but denied the allegations of firing at wedding ceremony.
As per reports, music was banned when the Taliban ruled the country from 1996 to 2001. However, the new authorities have not yet issued such a decree.
Reports quoting sources said that four couples were being married in a joint wedding in Surkh Rod district in the province of Nangarhar on Friday.
They also sought permission from a local Taliban leader to play recorded music in an area used only by the women.
But late at night, the gunmen forced their way inside and tried to smash the loudspeakers.
However, when the guests protested, the armed men opened fire.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the case was under investigation.
Taliban took over Afghanistan in August after the US pulled out the last of its remaining troops. During its earlier rule, they imposed an extremely strict interpretation of Islamic law.
But it has recently sought to project a more moderate image as it seeks international recognition.

Bueckers, Betts, Booker among Wooden finalists
- 42 minutes ago

NBA play-in tournament 2025: Schedule, standings, format
- 42 minutes ago

Judge dismisses Samsung’s smart ring lawsuit against Oura
- 2 hours ago

Naqvi briefs PM Shehbaz on security, others issues
- 10 hours ago

Google discontinues Nest Protect smoke alarm and Nest x Yale door lock
- 2 hours ago

Yale’s new smart lock can match your Google Nest doorbell
- 2 hours ago

PSL X anthem ‘X Dekho’ unveiled
- 10 hours ago

From a famed Russian basketball academy to Provo, Egor Demin is dialed in
- 14 hours ago

US tariff hikes may slow global growth: Russian central bank
- 9 hours ago

First Alert’s new smart smoke alarm is meant to be a Google Nest Protect replacement
- 2 hours ago

What's going on with Rafael Devers? Putting his historic strikeout streak into context
- 42 minutes ago

Self-driving taxis coming to Dubai by 2026, says RTA
- 13 hours ago