- Home
- Technology
- News
India seizes over $700mln from China's Xiaomi for moving money illegally
China's biggest tech company, however, says all its operations are firmly compliant with local laws and regulations


India has seized more than $700 million from one of China's biggest tech companies after accusing it of moving money out of the country illegally.
In a statement on Friday, India's Enforcement Directorate — the country's main financial investigation agency — accused the Indian subsidiary of smartphone maker Xiaomi of violating foreign exchange laws by making "illegal remittances."
The agency said Xiaomi India, acting on the instructions of its parent company, "had remitted foreign currency equivalent to [55.5 billion rupees, $726 million] to three foreign based entities which include one Xiaomi group entity in the guise of royalty."
Xiaomi started its operations in India in 2014 and started remitting money a year later, the agency added. The Indian authorities have now seized an equivalent amount of funds "lying in the bank accounts of the company."
"Xiaomi India procures the completely manufactured mobile sets and other products from the manufacturers in India," the Enforcement Directorate said. "Xiaomi India has not availed any service from the three foreign based entities to whom such amounts have been transferred," the agency added.
It also accused the company of providing "misleading information to the banks while remitting the money abroad."
Xiaomi India, which distributes Mi-branded smartphones, said in a statement that "all our operations are firmly compliant with local laws and regulations." In a Twitter post on Saturday, the company said it believed that the royalty payments and statements it made to the bank were "all legit and truthful."
The payments were made for "in-licensed technologies and IPs used in our India version products."
India has been getting tough with Chinese companies since border tensions escalated between the world's most populous countries two years ago. In 2020, India banned more than 200 apps — many of which were Chinese, including the wildly popular video platform TikTok.
Earlier this year, India again banned several Chinese apps, belonging to tech companies such as Tencent (TCEHY), Alibaba (BABA) and NetEase (NTES). In response, Beijing had said that it was "seriously concerned" about actions India has taken against Chinese companies.
SOURCE: CNN INTERNATIONAL

How to un-Big Tech your online life
- 9 hours ago
Australia, Ireland out of T20 World Cup as Zimbabwe qualify after washout
- 20 hours ago

How the left taught the right to hate white women
- 7 hours ago
Karachi AC survives petrol bomb assault in Lea Market
- 17 hours ago

Gold, sliver prices surge in Pakistan, global markets
- 8 minutes ago
Ramazan moon sighted in Saudi Arabia, UAE; first fast tomorrow
- 17 hours ago

Credit card theft, penis injections, and other weird scandals from the 2026 Olympic Games
- 7 hours ago
Tarique Rahman sworn in as Bangladesh’s PM after landslide election victory
- 21 hours ago

Trump’s biggest war is one he almost never talks about
- 7 hours ago

Samsung ad confirms rumors of a useful S26 ‘privacy display’
- 9 hours ago

Is Grindr Dead?
- 7 hours ago

Pakistan, Bangladesh vow to work for regional peace, stability
- 17 hours ago











