Motorway gang rape case: Appeal filed in Lahore High Court against conviction of accused
The Lahore High Court (LHC) has been requested to quash the death and imprisonment sentences of Abid Malhi and Shafqat Baga—the accused in the motorway gang rape case.

According to the details, Both the accused Abid Malhi and Shafqat Baga who were sentenced to death by the anti-terrorism court in the motorway gang rape case, have filed an appeal in the Lahore High Court against the verdict.
In a appeal filed in the Lahore High Court, the accused have taken the position that the prosecution has not proved its case in the trial court and there is a contradiction between the evidence and the investigation.
The appellants contend that the anti-terrorism section was added to the case five days later and the kidnapping for ransom section was added 29 days later.
Plaintiffs said that the kidnapping for ransom section was included in the case for speedy punishment, though the charge of kidnapping for ransom was also not proved during the trial.
The petition said that even before the DNA report, Abid Malhi was named as the accused.
The police declared him a suspect without any evidence while his DNA samples were not obtained as per the prescribed SOPs.
Earlier, Lahore anti-terrorism court (ATC) on Saturday sentenced the two main accused in the motorway gangrape case — Abid Malhi and Shafqat Ali — to death and life imprisonment.
ATC judge Arshad Hussain Bhatta announced the verdict at Lahore's Camp Jail where the two accused have been imprisoned. The accused were also fined Rs50,000 each.
The ATC had concluded trial proceedings in the case on Thursday after the defence completed its arguments. The accused had sexually assaulted a Pakistan-origin French woman in front of her children last year, while her car had developed a fault on the highway.

What's going on with Rafael Devers? Putting his historic strikeout streak into context
- 3 hours ago

Naqvi briefs PM Shehbaz on security, others issues
- 12 hours ago

The self-defeating tragedy of the Trump tariffs
- 2 hours ago

Yale’s new smart lock can match your Google Nest doorbell
- 4 hours ago

PSL X anthem ‘X Dekho’ unveiled
- 12 hours ago

First Alert’s new smart smoke alarm is meant to be a Google Nest Protect replacement
- 4 hours ago

Bueckers, Betts, Booker among Wooden finalists
- 3 hours ago

Why has Cory Booker been talking for 19 straight hours (and counting)?
- 2 hours ago

Judge dismisses Samsung’s smart ring lawsuit against Oura
- 4 hours ago

Google discontinues Nest Protect smoke alarm and Nest x Yale door lock
- 4 hours ago

NBA play-in tournament 2025: Schedule, standings, format
- 3 hours ago

US tariff hikes may slow global growth: Russian central bank
- 11 hours ago