The blast comes after a suicide bombing on Friday killed 53 people in a Kabul classroom

Two people were killed when a bomb blast tore through a mosque on the grounds of Afghanistan’s interior ministry in Kabul on Wednesday, a hospital said.
Since the Taliban returned to power last August they made security a priority but attacks have ramped up in recent months, even as officials have tried to downplay them.
Italian non-governmental organisation Emergency, which operates a hospital in Kabul, said it had received 20 patients “after a bomb attack in a mosque at the interior ministry”.
“Two were already dead on arrival,” it said on Twitter.
However interior ministry spokesman Abdul Nafi Takor said the explosion happened “in a mosque which is at a distance from the ministry of interior” where visitors and some employees pray.
He did not give an indication of official casualty figures, or the exact distance from the ministry, but said an investigation was ongoing.
The blast comes after a suicide bombing on Friday killed 53 people in a Kabul classroom, including 46 girls and women, according to a UN death toll.
Witnesses said the attacker blew himself up in the women’s section of a gender-segregated classroom of a study hall in the Dasht-e-Barchi neighbourhood — an enclave of the historically oppressed Shia Hazara community.
No group has so far claimed responsibility for that attack, which Taliban authorities said claimed only 25 lives.
However, the militant Islamic State group which considers Shia heretics has carried out several deadly attacks in the same area targeting girls, schools and mosques.
The Taliban were also accused of plotting attacks on the Hazara community as they waged a two-decade insurgency against the old US-led regime which collapsed last August.
The hardcore group’s return to power in Afghanistan last year brought an end to that insurgency and a dramatic decline in violence.
The Taliban movement — made up primarily of ethnic Pakhtuns — has pledged to protect minorities and clamp down on security threats.
SOURCE: AFP
First National Chief of Army Staff Wrestling Championship 2026 concludes in Sialkot
- 2 days ago
Imran Khan, both sons talk over phone after prolonged hiatus
- 2 days ago

DG ISPR visits various educational institutions of Lahore
- 21 hours ago

High voltage clash: India defeat pakistan by 61 Runs, qualify for Super Eight
- 14 hours ago

YouTube is coming to the Apple Vision Pro
- a day ago

T20World Cup high voltage clash: India set 176 run target for Pakistan to win
- 18 hours ago

Could lab monkeys soon become a thing of the past?
- a day ago

Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir meets global leaders during Germany visit
- 21 hours ago

SSWMB earns national recognition for clean Sindh initiative
- 18 hours ago

Good Luck, Have Fun, Don’t Die is a rollicking parable about this moment in tech
- 7 hours ago

PM Shehbaz leaves for Vienna, Austria on two-day official visit
- 21 hours ago
Tucker stars as Ireland crush Oman by 96 runs at T20 World Cup
- 2 days ago






