The bodies were scattered over the area, Lesufi said, adding that the youngest victim was a one-year old.


Johannesburg: At least 16 people died in an informal settlement near Boksburg east of Johannesburg following a suspected gas leak, the head of the provincial government said on Wednesday after a recount of fatalities.
South Africa's Gauteng Province Premier Panyaza Lesufi told reporters as he visited the scene that investigations were underway to determine what type of gas was involved.
"Sixteen is the verified number. The team has assured me that they have done a recount," Lesufi said. The previously reported number of deaths was 24.
The bodies were scattered over the area, Lesufi said, adding that the youngest victim was a one-year old.
"It's not a nice scene at all, it's not a nice scene. It's painful, emotionally draining and tragic," the premier said.
Broadcaster SABC earlier quoted a spokesperson for the disaster and emergency management services as saying there were 24 fatalities.
South African media reported that the gas leak could have been linked to suspected illegal mining activities.
SOURCE: REUTERS

What's going on with Rafael Devers? Putting his historic strikeout streak into context
- 3 hours ago

NBA play-in tournament 2025: Schedule, standings, format
- 3 hours ago

PSL X anthem ‘X Dekho’ unveiled
- 12 hours ago

US tariff hikes may slow global growth: Russian central bank
- 12 hours ago

The self-defeating tragedy of the Trump tariffs
- 2 hours ago

Why has Cory Booker been talking for 19 straight hours (and counting)?
- 2 hours ago

Google discontinues Nest Protect smoke alarm and Nest x Yale door lock
- 4 hours ago

Judge dismisses Samsung’s smart ring lawsuit against Oura
- 4 hours ago

Naqvi briefs PM Shehbaz on security, others issues
- 12 hours ago

Yale’s new smart lock can match your Google Nest doorbell
- 4 hours ago

First Alert’s new smart smoke alarm is meant to be a Google Nest Protect replacement
- 4 hours ago

Bueckers, Betts, Booker among Wooden finalists
- 3 hours ago