The quota rules were scrapped by government in 2018 and their reintroduction caused widespread anger


Dhaka: The Supreme Court of Bangladesh on Sunday suspended the implementation of the quota system in government jobs, that sparked deadly protest across the country.
"The Supreme Court has said the High Court verdict was illegal," Attorney-general A.M. Amin Uddin told media, referring to a ruling last month that reintroduced the quotas.
He said that just five percent of civil service jobs would remain reserved for children of independence war veterans and two percent for other categories.
The quota rules were scrapped by government in 2018 and their reintroduction caused widespread anger, particularly among the country's young people, who make up around a fifth of the population.
The Supreme Court brought forward the hearing, which was originally scheduled for August 7, to Sunday.
Some observers say that public anger will continue at the government even though the top court has decided to reduce the quotas.
This decision comes in the wake of widespread protests that have been ongoing for several days across various cities in the country.
The demonstrations, driven by opposition to the quota system, have resulted in violent clashes between protesters and security forces, with over 130 fatalities reported. In response to the escalating violence, the government imposed a curfew and issued orders for security personnel to shoot protesters on sight.
The suspension of the quota system marks a significant development in the ongoing civil unrest, as the government seeks to restore order and address the concerns of the protesters.

16 militants including two key commanders killed in successful security operation in Bannu
- 11 hours ago

PM Shehbaz leaves for China on four-day official visit
- a day ago

Pakistan hopes to host next round of Iran-US Talks soon, says PM Shehbaz
- 11 hours ago

Field Marshal Asim Munir meets Iranian Abbas Araghchi to discuss Iran-U.S. talks
- a day ago

Deadly blast near Chaman railway crossing in Quetta kills 14, Including FC personnel
- 11 hours ago

Field Marshal Asim Munir’s Iran visit highly productive, encouraging progress Achieved: ISPR
- a day ago

The worst kind of cancer suddenly isn’t so scary anymore
- 2 days ago

Pakistan will soon march alongside China on the path of regional development,says PM Shehbaz
- 11 hours ago

Field Marshal Asim Munir meets Iranian President, parliament speaker to discuss Iran-U.S. talks
- a day ago

Democrats don’t need an autopsy to know what they did wrong
- a day ago

Security forces killed 11 indian backed militants during IBO in North Waziristan
- 7 hours ago

PM Shehbaz meets Zhejiang leadership, Punjab-Zhejiang sister province MoU signed
- a day ago






