Energy minister says electricity theft intolerable, pending issues in the power sector would be addressed


Multan: Federal Minister of Energy Awais Leghari, on Monday, declared electricity theft intolerable and announced that the government is planning to implement prepaid meters for electricity billing.
Speaking to the media in Multan, Leghari emphasized the need for a prepaid system, similar to mobile phone billing, to combat electricity theft. He assured that all pending issues in the power sector would be addressed, highlighting the numerous flaws within the current system.
The minister also mentioned ongoing negotiations between the government and Independent Power Producers (IPPs) aimed at providing relief worth Rs45 billion, as previously announced by PML-N president Nawaz Sharif. He hinted at a significant drop in electricity prices expected next year.
Leghari further noted that the depreciation of the rupee had doubled capacity payments and announced his plans to visit power companies in Balochistan and Sindh next week.

Trump’s latest assault on public lands
- a day ago

Cuba has plenty of doctors. So why is its healthcare system collapsing?
- a day ago

How the Supreme Court remade religious liberty in the Christian right’s image
- a day ago
PM takes notice of non-functionality of CT Coronary Angiography facility at PIMS
- 15 hours ago

Indian airlines suffer around $2bn loss as Pakistan continues airspace closure
- 17 hours ago

The future of medicine is video games
- 16 hours ago

Why nonalcoholic wine is so expensive
- a day ago

At least 13 Tunisians missing after migrant boat sinks off Tunisia, group says
- 15 hours ago

The week the data center backlash exploded
- an hour ago

PM, Malaysian counterpart discuss regional developments
- 15 hours ago

Samsung’s Galaxy Buds 3 Pro are almost half off today
- a day ago

The surprising way that America’s $40 trillion debt costs you
- a day ago








