At least 70 people were killed in the attacks and subsequent military operations


A truck driver, who rescuers initially thought was dead, was recovering on Tuesday after hospital staff receiving bodies realised he was alive despite being shot five times in one of the most widespread attacks in Balochistan in years.
On Monday, Munir Ahmed was driving with three colleagues in a convoy of four trucks through the southern province of Balochistan.
The drivers did not notice anything amiss and had not heard of any violence until they were about an hour outside of the provincial capital, Quetta.
Suddenly, armed men crowded the dusty stretch of highway, waving at them to stop, ordering the drivers out of their trucks and lining them up on the roadside.
Ahmed, 50, began to recite Quranic verses in fear.
“We were all horrified,” he said.
The gunmen opened fire and threw the men’s bodies into a stream, leaving them for dead.
Meanwhile, attackers along other roads were stopping buses, pulling off passengers, and killing men in front of their families, Balochistan’s chief minister later said.
The Baloch Liberation Army (BLA), a banned militant group seeking secession from the resource-rich province bordering Iran and Afghanistan, took responsibility for the assaults.
Authorities said at least 70 people were killed in the attacks and subsequent military operations, including 23 civilians pulled out of their vehicles.
Rescuers put Ahmed and the lifeless bodies of his three colleagues into a vehicle to take to the hospital, where medical staff realised he had survived.
A nurse said he had been hit by five bullets in the arm and back but was in stable condition.
Lying flat in a hospital bed, far from home in Punjab with his arm heavily bandaged, Ahmed said his memory of the attack was hazy and he was upset by his colleagues’ deaths, uncertain what would happen next after such a violent disruption to his livelihood.
SOURCE: REUTERS

Why Trump is tearing up a beloved national park
- 8 hours ago

The promising race to get kids reading again
- 8 hours ago
OpenAI slows advanced AI development after its tools launched cyberattack
- a day ago
Prince Harry and Meghan to move back to Britain
- 31 minutes ago

People are betting on wildfires on Polymarket. What could go wrong?
- 8 hours ago

Samsung has new Galaxy headphones in the works
- 10 hours ago

Microsoft is combining its Copilot apps ahead of a ‘super app’
- 10 hours ago

Who gets to freeze their eggs?
- a day ago
Federal govt seeks review of Imran Khan’s hospital transfer order
- a day ago

Flock CEO: ‘We got this one wrong’
- 10 hours ago
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
- a day ago

Karoline Leavitt and the trap of MAGA womanhood
- a day ago






