- Home
- Technology
- News
Australia bans DeepSeek on govt devices over ‘privacy and security’ concerns
Australia's Home Affairs department issues directive to government employees overnight


(AFP): Australia has banned DeepSeek from all government devices on the advice of security agencies, a top official said Wednesday, citing privacy and malware risks posed by China's breakout AI programme.
The DeepSeek chatbot — developed by a China-based startup — has astounded industry insiders and upended financial markets since it was released last month.
But a growing list of countries including South Korea, Italy and France have voiced concerns about the application's security and data practices.
Australia upped the ante overnight banning DeepSeek from all government devices, one of the toughest moves against the Chinese chatbot yet.
"This is an action the government has taken on the advice of security agencies. It's absolutely not a symbolic move," said government cyber security envoy Andrew Charlton.
"We don't want to expose government systems to these applications."
Risks included that uploaded information "might not be kept private", Charlton told national broadcaster ABC, and that applications such as DeepSeek "may expose you to malware".
Australia's Home Affairs department issued a directive to government employees overnight.
"After considering threat and risk analysis, I have determined that the use of DeepSeek products, applications and web services poses an unacceptable level of security risk to the Australian Government," Department of Home Affairs Secretary Stephanie Foster said in the directive.
As of Wednesday all non-corporate Commonwealth entities must "identify and remove all existing instances of DeepSeek products, applications and web services on all Australian Government systems and mobile devices," she added.
The directive also required that "access, use or installation of DeepSeek products" be prevented across government systems and mobile devices.
It has garnered bipartisan support among Australian politicians.
In 2018 Australia banned Chinese telecommunications giant Huawei from its national 5G network, citing national security concerns. TikTok was banned from government devices in 2023 on the advice of Australian intelligence agencies.

The worst kind of cancer suddenly isn’t so scary anymore
- 7 گھنٹے قبل

Hopeful for Iran deal, in constant contact with Pakistan: Marco Rubio
- 17 گھنٹے قبل

PM Shehbaz to visit China on four-day official visit from Saturday
- ایک دن قبل
Pakistan seeks breakthrough in US-Iran peace talks
- 18 گھنٹے قبل

How Trump plans to build his arch
- 7 گھنٹے قبل

How the Oklahoma City Thunder became the NBA’s villains
- 7 گھنٹے قبل

Trump Mobile may be leaking customer addresses
- 9 گھنٹے قبل
PCB announces squad for ODI series against Australia
- ایک دن قبل

The best thing Democrats can do for the climate: Stop talking about it
- 7 گھنٹے قبل
Air Chief Marshal Sidhu visits Türkiye, holds high-level meetings with defence leadership
- 20 گھنٹے قبل
US releases second batch of government declassified UFO files
- 18 گھنٹے قبل
CDF Syed Asim Munir departs for Iran on official visit
- 20 گھنٹے قبل










