Pakistan says formal response from Iran regarding participation in 2nd round of talks ‘still awaited’
Pakistan remains in constant touch with Iranian side, but a formal response from Tehran regarding participation in the Islamabad Peace Talks had not been received as of 7.30pm PST, the minister said on the social media platform X

AFP/Reuters: Information Minister Attaullah Tarar said on Tuesday that a formal response from the Iranian side regarding its participation in the second round of peace talks with the United States was “still awaited”.
Pakistan remains in constant touch with Iranian side, but a formal response from Tehran regarding participation in the Islamabad Peace Talks had not been received as of 7.30pm PST, the minister said on the social media platform X.
“The ceasefire ends at 4:50am PST, April 22. A decision from Iran to attend the talks before the end of the two-week ceasefire is critical,” he said.
“Pakistan has made sincere efforts to convince the Iranian leadership to participate in the second round of talks, and these efforts continue,” the information minister said.
Hours earlier, Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar had urged the US and Iran to “consider extending the ceasefire and give dialogue and diplomacy a chance”, according to the Foreign Office (FO).
He expressed these views in a meeting with US Chargé d’Affaires Natalie Baker, where the two discussed recent regional developments.
“DPM/FM underscored Pakistan’s consistent emphasis on dialogue and diplomacy as the only viable means to address challenges and achieve lasting regional peace and stability,” the FO said.
“He stressed the need for engagement between the United States and Iran, urged both sides to consider extending the ceasefire, and to give dialogue and diplomacy a chance,” it said.
Meanwhile, Baker conveyed the US’s appreciation for Pakistan’s constructive and positive role in promoting regional peace and facilitating dialogue, it added.
Trump expects ‘great deal’
The appeal came as US President Donald Trump touted the strong negotiation position of the country in talks with Iran to end the Middle East conflict.
“We’re going to end up with a great deal. I think they have no choice… We’re in a very, very strong negotiating position,” Trump told broadcaster CNBC.
He also said that he did not want to extend a ceasefire with Iran.
“I don’t want to do that. We don’t have that much time,” Trump said when asked about the possibility of extending the ceasefire.
With the prospect of last-ditch further peace talks still up in the air, Trump said the US would resume its attacks on Iran if a deal is not struck with Tehran soon.
“I expect to be bombing because I think that’s a better attitude to go in with. But we’re ready to go. I mean, the military is raring to go,” he said.
The two-week truce between the US and Iran was supposed to expire at 8pm (Eastern) on Tuesday, April 21. But on Tuesday, Trump said it would now end on Wednesday evening US time.
Earlier on Wednesday, he also accused Iran of violating the ceasefire “numerous times”.

Samsung’s Galaxy Buds 3 Pro are almost half off today
- a day ago

Indian airlines suffer around $2bn loss as Pakistan continues airspace closure
- 14 hours ago
PM takes notice of non-functionality of CT Coronary Angiography facility at PIMS
- 12 hours ago

Cuba has plenty of doctors. So why is its healthcare system collapsing?
- a day ago

The surprising way that America’s $40 trillion debt costs you
- a day ago

How the Supreme Court remade religious liberty in the Christian right’s image
- a day ago

At least 13 Tunisians missing after migrant boat sinks off Tunisia, group says
- 11 hours ago

Amazon’s drones will soon deliver to nearly 500 US cities and towns
- a day ago

Why nonalcoholic wine is so expensive
- a day ago

The future of medicine is video games
- 13 hours ago

PM, Malaysian counterpart discuss regional developments
- 12 hours ago

Trump’s latest assault on public lands
- a day ago








