- Home
- Technology
- News
Brazil's health ministry website hit by hackers, vaccination data targeted
Hacker took data of national immunization program


Brasilia: Brazil's health ministry said its website was hit on Friday by a hacker attack that took several systems down, including one with information about the national immunization program and another used to issue digital vaccination certificates.
The government put off for a week implementing new health requirements for travelers arriving in Brazil due to the attack.
"The health ministry reports that in the early hours of Friday it suffered an incident that temporarily compromised some of its systems ... which are currently unavailable," it said in a statement.
Police said they were investigating the attack.
The alleged hackers, calling themselves Lapsus$ Group" posted a message on the website saying that internal data had been copied and deleted. "Contact us if you want the data back," it said, in an apparent ransomware attack.
The message, which included e-mail and Telegram contact info, had been removed by Friday afternoon, but the web page was still down, while user data in the ConectSUS app that provides Brazilians with vaccination certificates had disappeared.
The ministry said it was working to restore its systems. At a news conference, Deputy Health Minister Rodrigo Cruz said access to the vaccination data had still not been recovered by Friday evening. Cruz said it was too early to say whether the data had been lost.
On Tuesday, Brazil's health minister announced that country will not stop unvaccinated travelers entering the country as they will go on a five-day quarantine followed by a COVID-19 test, after its president said he opposed the use of a vaccine passport. after President Jair Bolsonaro opposed the use of a vaccine passport, unvaccinated travelers arriving in Brazil will have to quarantine for five days and be tested for COVID-19.
The requirement was due to start on Saturday, but the government said that will be postponed for a week as vaccination data was not accessible online following the attack.
COVID-19 tracing forms for arriving airline passengers were still available on health regulator Anvisa's website, which was not targeted.
SOURCE: Reuters

2K launches new studio to build its ‘next blockbuster sports franchise’
- 2 days ago

It doesn’t have to be this hard to get divorced
- 6 hours ago
Google is making the Pixel cameras better by making them worse
- 8 hours ago

How to take better photos of your pets
- 8 hours ago

Polaroid’s tiny instant camera is $72 and includes a free pack of film
- 8 hours ago

Microsoft’s Clippy-like Mico character is no longer the face of Copilot
- 2 days ago
The Pixel Tag is Google’s answer to the AirTag
- 8 hours ago

REVOO hosts C35 Series media meetup in Lahore, bringing families, creators and riders together
- 19 hours ago

Meet the man who spent $15K on Beyoncé tickets
- 6 hours ago

Honor’s Robot Phone is better than a gimbal in a phone has any right to be
- 2 days ago

The fight over Flock and other ALPRs
- 2 days ago
Google’s Pixel 11 series pairs a little new hardware with a lot of new software
- 8 hours ago

