Technology
- Home
- Technology
- News
White House walks back funding freeze after a day of confusion
The White House Office of Management and Budget (OMB) is walking back the federal funding freeze memo that set off a day of chaos and confusion on Tuesday up until a judge paused the order right before it was set to take effect. “In light of the injunction, O…

Published a year ago on Feb 4th 2025, 10:01 am
By Web Desk

The White House Office of Management and Budget (OMB) is walking back the federal funding freeze memo that set off a day of chaos and confusion on Tuesday up until a judge paused the order right before it was set to take effect.
“In light of the injunction, OMB has rescinded the memo to end any confusion on federal policy created by the court ruling and the dishonest media coverage,” White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said in a statement. Leavitt said that other executive orders on “funding reviews” would remain in effect and that more would follow. “This action should effectively end the court case and allow the government to focus on enforcing the President’s orders on controlling federal spending. In the coming weeks and months, more executive action will continue to end the egregious waste of federal funding.”
The original memo would have paused the disbursement of federal grants and financial assistance programs, but its ambiguity and breadth led to a scramble for answers on what exactly would be impacted. The funding freeze would have likely applied to some funds for clean energy that were a hallmark of the Biden administration’s legacy. During a press briefing Tuesday, the White House fielded several questions about what exactly the original funding freeze order applied to, and clarified it would not apply to programs providing direct assistance to Americans like Medicare and Social Security. Even so, apparent technical issues with Medicaid reimbursement portals deepened the uncertainty.
Just before the freeze was set to take effect Tuesday, a judge halted it, allowing the government to continue disbursing funds that had already been authorized. The pause would expire Monday evening, however, unless the judge took further action to stop the order from taking effect. Now it seems the White House has backed off this particular court battle, as it defends other orders that Trump issued in a marathon signing session in his first week in office.

PM Shehbaz to visit China on four-day official visit from Saturday
- 2 hours ago
President, PM reaffirm Pakistan’s commitment to strategic partnership with China
- a day ago

Exclusive: Jonah Peretti explains why he sold BuzzFeed
- 13 hours ago

The most important election is the one most Americans skip
- 11 hours ago

Our national parks are struggling
- 11 hours ago

Ugreen’s new soccer ball-shaped tracker has up to 7 years of battery life
- 13 hours ago
Air Chief Marshal Sidhu visits Türkiye, holds high-level meetings with defence leadership
- 27 minutes ago

How to prepare for a huge disaster when you live in a tiny apartment
- 11 hours ago

Volvo teases a new affordable EV to replace discontinued EX30
- 13 hours ago

America’s dangerous, messy deepfakes crackdown is here
- 13 hours ago

Elon Musk lost his case against Sam Altman
- 13 hours ago
PCB announces squad for ODI series against Australia
- 3 hours ago
You May Like
Trending






