Taliban fighters shot and killed at least 22 Afghan commandos, who were were members of an Afghan Special Forces unit and seeking surrender, a video footage showed on Tuesday.

Over clear but unsteady video, the words ring out: "Surrender, commandos, surrender." Several men emerge from a building; they are clearly unarmed.
Gunfire erupts. At least a dozen men are seen shot to death amid cries of "Allahu Akhbar" -- God is Great.
The victims were members of an Afghan Special Forces unit: their executioners, the Taliban. The summary killings took place on June 16 in the town of Dawlat Abad in Faryab province, close to Afghanistan's border with Turkmenistan.
CNN has obtained and verified several videos of the incident and has spoken with witnesses.
Videos show the commandos' bodies strewn across an outdoor market. After a fierce battle to hold the town, they the commandos had run out of ammunition and were surrounded by the Taliban fighters, witnesses said.
In one video, about 45 seconds long, a bystander can be heard saying in Pashto, the local language: "Don't shoot them, don't shoot them, I beg you don't shoot them." The bystander then asks: "How are you Pashtun killing Afghans?" The Pashtuns are the main ethnic group in Afghanistan.
At the end of the video, another voice off-camera says: "Take everything off them."
In another video, a man can be heard saying: "Open his body armor." One fighter can be seen taking equipment off the body of one of the commandos.
The Red Cross confirmed the bodies of 22 commandos were retrieved.
The killing of the soldiers stands in stark contrast to the Taliban's efforts to show it is accepting the surrender of soldiers and, in some instances, paying them to go home as it makes territorial gains across Afghanistan.
The Taliban posted a video three days after the fighting in Dawlat Abad, showing the seizure of military trucks and weapons. The video claimed that "the Washington guards, a CIA specially trained special commando who had been pursuing the Taliban in Dawlat Abad, Faryab, were captured alive by the Taliban, disarmed and handcuffed."
The Taliban told CNN the videos showing the commandos being shot were fake and government propaganda to encourage people not to surrender. A Taliban spokesman said they were still holding 24 commandos who had been captured in Faryab province but provided no evidence.
The Afghan Ministry of Defense denied the Taliban was holding the commandos and told CNN they were killed.
SOURCE: CNN INTERNATIONAL

Why nonalcoholic wine is so expensive
- a day ago

How the Supreme Court remade religious liberty in the Christian right’s image
- a day ago

Trump’s latest assault on public lands
- a day ago

Cuba has plenty of doctors. So why is its healthcare system collapsing?
- a day ago
PM takes notice of non-functionality of CT Coronary Angiography facility at PIMS
- 15 hours ago

Indian airlines suffer around $2bn loss as Pakistan continues airspace closure
- 17 hours ago

The surprising way that America’s $40 trillion debt costs you
- a day ago

PM, Malaysian counterpart discuss regional developments
- 15 hours ago

The week the data center backlash exploded
- an hour ago

Samsung’s Galaxy Buds 3 Pro are almost half off today
- a day ago

The future of medicine is video games
- 16 hours ago

At least 13 Tunisians missing after migrant boat sinks off Tunisia, group says
- 14 hours ago





