Connect with us

Regional

SC orders immediate demolition of Nasla Tower, seeks report by afternoon 

During the proceedings, the Chief Justice asked the Karachi commissioner to leave his post if he is unable to perform his duties.

Published

on

SC orders immediate demolition of Nasla Tower, seeks report by afternoon 
GNN Media: Representational Photo

Karachi: The Supreme Court (SC) Wednesday ordered the immediate demolition of the 15-story Nasla Tower— directing concerned authorities to submit the report by afternoon.

The hearing of the case was held at the SC Karachi Registry—headed by the Chief Justice of Pakistan (CJP) Justice Gulzar Ahmed.

During the proceedings, the Chief Justice asked the Karachi commissioner to leave his post if he is unable to perform his duties. 

The Karachi commissioner replied that he wanted to seek guidance from the court. At this, Justice Gulzar lambasted him saying, “The court will send you straight to the jail; You are continuously committing contempt of court". 

After being criticized by the apex court, commissioner Karachi apologized. The CJP then directed the commissioner to immediately go and demolish Nasla Tower submit the report by afternoon— bringing along photographs of the proceedings. 

Earlier on October 25, the SC had directed the metropolitan authorities to demolish the Nasla Tower through a controlled implosion within a week. 

In its detailed verdict, the apex court directed to use the latest technology to demolish the building on Shahrae Faisal through controlled blasting and recover the cost from the owner. 

Moreover, the apex court ordered to take all precautionary measures to ensure that no damage occur while demolishing the building.  

The court was directed to complete the process by November 3.

Mehak Javed

Mehak Javed is immensely creative and an enthusiastic journalist, contributing in the publication of timely and accurate news. She is a skilled writer along proven history of achievement in the field with several years of professional experience. Mehak is working with GNN since 2020.

Health

'Variant of concern': WHO names new Covid variant as Omicron

The World Health Organisation (WHO) on Friday classified the B.1.1.529 variant detected in South Africa as a SARS-CoV-2 "variant of concern," saying it may spread more quickly than other forms.

Published by Faisal Ali Ghumman

Published

on

'Variant of concern': WHO names new Covid variant as Omicron

Preliminary evidence suggested there is an increased risk of reinfection and there had been a "detrimental change in COVID-19 epidemiology," it said in a statement after a closed meeting of independent experts who reviewed the data.

Infections in South Africa had risen steeply in recent weeks, coinciding with detection of the variant now designated as omicron, WHO said.

"This variant has a large number of mutations, some of which are concerning. Preliminary evidence suggests an increased risk of reinfection with this variant, as compared to other (variants of concern), it said.

Omicron is the fifth variant to carry such a designation.
"This variant has been detected at faster rates than previous surges in infection, suggesting that this variant may have a growth advantage," the WHO said.

Current PCR tests continue to successfully detect the variant, it said.

Earlier, the WHO cautioned countries against hastily imposing travel restrictions linked to the variant of COVID-19, saying they should take a "risk-based and scientific approach".

Global authorities reacted with alarm to the new variant detected in South Africa, with the EU and Britain among those tightening border controls as scientists sought to find out if the mutation was vaccine-resistant. L1N2SH089

"At this point, implementing travel measures is being cautioned against," WHO spokesman Christian Lindmeier told a U.N. briefing in Geneva. "The WHO recommends that countries continue to apply a risk-based and scientific approach when implementing travel measures."

It would take several weeks to determine the variant's transmissibility and the effectiveness of vaccines and therapeutics against it, he said, noting that 100 sequences of the variant have been reported so far.

People should continue to wear masks whenever possible, avoid large gatherings, ventilate rooms and maintain hand hygiene, Lindmeier added.

Mike Ryan, WHO's emergency director, praised South African public health institutions for picking up the signal of the new variant.

But he warned that while some countries had systems in place to do this, the situation elsewhere was often unclear.

"So it's really important that there are no knee-jerk responses here. Especially with relation to South Africa," he said. "Because we've seen in the past, the minute that there is any mention of any kind of variation, then everyone is closing borders and restricting travel."

SOURCE: REUTERS

 

Continue Reading

Business

US dollar hits high against Pakistani rupee

The dollar rose by 52 paise to 176.50 paise on the interbank market

Published by Siddra Sumreen

Published

on

US dollar hits high against Pakistani rupee

Karachi: The US Dollar continued its surge against the rupee on Friday, gaining 48 paisa to reach another high of Rs175.46 in the interbank market.

According to foreign currency dealers, at the start of trading, the dollar rose by 52 paise to 176.50 paise on the interbank market.

The rupee lost 48 paisas (0.27%) to close at Rs175.46 against the greenback in the inter-bank market, according to data released by the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP).

The dollar had closed at Rs174.98 against the rupee the other day. The value of US currency was decreased by 6 paisa in interbank.

It is to be mentioned here that the dollar had earlier closed at a record high of 175.73 at the interbank on November 12.

Continue Reading

Sports

Pakistani boxer Muhammad Waseem wins WBC Silver title

Muhammad Waseem clinched the silver title by defeating the Colombian boxer

Published by Siddra Sumreen

Published

on

Pakistani boxer Muhammad Waseem wins WBC Silver title

Dubai: Another success for Pakistan, former WBC champion Muhammad Waseem defeated Colombian boxer Rober Barrera in a bout at the Boxing Arena in Dubai.

According to reports, in a 12-round fight of World Boxing Council (WBC), Muhammad Waseem clinched the silver title by defeating the Colombian boxer.

Waseem has so far won 11 bouts during his career with eight knockouts. He lost just one. During his excellent career Waseem has won the WBC flyweight world silver title two times. He also remained WBC No1 for quite some time. He won the WBC world silver title only in his fourth professional bout.

Barrera is said to be more experienced, as he competed in 26 fights and lost 3. The foreign fighter, who has a record of 13 knockouts, will try his best to obtain a triumph that will catapult him to a greater projection at world level.

 

Continue Reading

Trending