Secretary of State Blinken says he wants to end Iran's isolation and favours reviving 2015 nuclear deal


(AFP): Iran is capable of producing fissile material for use in a nuclear weapon within "one or two weeks," US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Friday.
The details on Iran's capabilities emerged following the recent election of President Masoud Pezeshkian.
He has said he wants to end Iran's isolation and favours reviving the 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and global powers.
Blinken said, however, that "what we've seen in the last weeks and months is an Iran that's actually moving forward" with its nuclear program.
In 2018, the United States unilaterally withdrew from the nuclear deal, which was designed to regulate Iran's atomic activities in exchange for the lifting of international sanctions.
Speaking at a security forum in Colorado, Blinken blamed the collapse of the nuclear deal for the acceleration in Iran's capabilities.
"Instead of being at least a year away from having the breakout capacity of producing fissile material for a nuclear weapon, (Iran) is now probably one or two weeks away from doing that," Blinken said.
He added that Iran had not yet developed a nuclear weapon.
The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said last month that Iran is further expanding its nuclear capacities, with Tehran informing the agency that it was installing more cascades -- or series of centrifuges used in enrichment -- at nuclear facilities in Natanz and Fordow.
According to the IAEA, Iran is the only non-nuclear weapons state to enrich uranium to the high level of 60 per cent -- just short of weapons-grade -- while it keeps accumulating large uranium stockpiles, enough to build several atomic bombs, the agency says.
Following the US withdrawal, the Islamic republic has gradually broken away from its commitments under the 2015 nuclear deal.
But the country's acting foreign minister Ali Bagheri told CNN earlier this week that Iran remained committed to the accord, known as the JCPOA.
"We are still a member of JCPOA. America has not yet been able to return to the JCPOA, so the goal we are pursuing is the revival of the 2015 agreement," he said. "We are not looking for a new agreement."
Bagheri said no one in Iran had talked "about a new agreement. We have an agreement (signed) in 2015."
Blinken was speaking just days after reports that the US Secret Service had increased security for Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump weeks ago, after authorities learned of an alleged Iranian plot to kill him.
Tehran has denied the allegations.
Taylor Swift named best-selling artist of the year for sixth time
- 14 hours ago

Logitech’s new Superstrike is a faster, more customizable gaming mouse
- 2 hours ago

How much did gold and silver prices gain in Pakistan today?
- 15 hours ago
Pakistan issues demarche to Kabul over use of Afghan soil in Bajaur attack
- 15 hours ago
Pakistan, US ink pact to redevelop New York’s Roosevelt Hotel
- 10 hours ago
Trump leads first meeting while Hamas tightens grip in Gaza
- 9 hours ago

Four terrorists killed in IBO in KP’s Lakki Marwat: ISPR
- 10 hours ago

You need to watch the intensely surreal cult classic Possession
- 2 hours ago

Why are Epstein’s emails full of equals signs?
- 2 hours ago
King Charles’ brother Andrew arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office: BBC
- 14 hours ago
West Indies ease past Italy to tune up for T20 Super Eights
- 15 hours ago

Apple’s first-gen AirTags are still worth buying now that they’re $16 apiece
- 2 hours ago






