Connect with us

Entertainment

‘Iconic duet’; #TuJhoom becomes top twitter trend after Abida Parveen, Naseebo Lal’s musical fusion

The song is ‘absolutely breathtaking’ and has left the music lovers pleased as the production also seems at another level with the introduction of dancers, besides the choir to the video.  

Published

on

‘Iconic duet’; #TuJhoom becomes top twitter trend after Abida Parveen, Naseebo Lal’s musical fusion
GNN Media: Representational Photo

Karachi: The iconic collaboration of Pakistan’s musical legends Abida Parveen and Naseebo Lal prompted trends like #TuJhoom and #cokestudio on twitter.

The Coke Studio Season 14 premiered with a soulful song titled ‘Tu Jhoom’ by Pakistan’s renowned Sufi singer Abida Parveen and folk singer Naseebo Lal—curated and Produced by Xulfi who defines the masterpiece as the most honest representation of not only his journey, but the Collective’s.

The song is ‘absolutely breathtaking’ and has left the music lovers pleased as the production also seems at another level with the introduction of dancers, besides the choir to the video.  

Tu Jhoom is a song as hypnotically nostalgic as it is new.

The song has been produced with the teamwork of several other artists including Asif Ali (Tabla), Haroon Daniel (Octapad), Melvin Arthur (Bass), Payam Mashrequi (Synth), Rohail Nawab (Acoustic Guitar), Saad-ul-Hassan (Synth / Backing Vocals), Syed Awais Kazmi (Mountain Dulcimer) and Yusuf Ramay (Drums).

Associate music producer Abdullah Siddiqui calls the track “a perfect blend of traditional sounds – quintessentially desi but in an updated, almost postmodern way.”

A video of Abida Parveen and Naseebo Lal warmly greet each other before their performance has also gone viral.

In the meantime, netizens flooded the social networking site with tweets lauding the eloquent vocalists— pouring admirations and an overpowering sum of love.

Here is what people have to say.

The second song from Coke Studio Season 14 will be released on January 21.

Mehak Javed

Mehak Javed is immensely creative and an enthusiastic journalist, contributing in the publication of timely and accurate news. She is a skilled writer along proven history of achievement in the field with several years of professional experience. Mehak is working with GNN since 2020.

World

Taliban pledge to open all schools for girls after March 21

Taliban say they hope to be able to open all schools for girls across the country after late March.

Published by Siddra Sumreen

Published

on

Taliban pledge to open all schools for girls after March 21

Kabul: Afghanistan s new Taliban rulers say they hope to be able to open all schools for girls across the country after late March, their spokesman told The Associated Press, offering the first timeline for addressing a key demand of the international community.

Since the Taliban takeover in mid-August, girls in most of Afghanistan have not been allowed back to school beyond grade 7. The international community, reluctant to formally recognize a Taliban-run administration, is wary they could impose similar harsh measures as during their previous rule 20 years ago. At the time, women were banned from education, work and public life.

Zabihullah Mujahid, who is also the Taliban s deputy minister of culture and information, said their education departments are looking to open classrooms for all girls and women following the Afghan New Year, which starts on March 21. Afghanistan, like neighbouring Iran, observes the Islamic solar Hijri Shamsi calendar.

Education for girls and women “is a question of capacity,” Mujahid said in the interview.

Girls and boys must be completely segregated in schools, he said, adding that the biggest obstacle so far has been finding or building enough dorms, or hostels, where girls could stay while going to school. In heavily populated areas, it is not enough to have separate classrooms for boys and girls — separate school buildings are needed, he said.

“We are not against education,” Mujahid stressed, speaking at a Kabul office building with marble floors that once housed Afghan attorney general s offices and which the Taliban have adopted for their culture and information ministry.

The Taliban dictates so far have been erratic, varying from province to province. Girls have not been allowed back to classrooms in state-run schools beyond grade 7, except in about 10 of the country s 34 provinces. In the capital, Kabul, private universities and high schools have continued to operate uninterrupted. Most are small and the classes have always been segregated.

“We are trying to solve these problems by the coming year,” so that schools and universities can open, Mujahid said.

The international community has been skeptical of Taliban announcements, saying it will judge them by their actions — even as it scrambles to provide billions of dollars to avert a humanitarian catastrophe that the UN chief this week warned could endanger the lives of millions.

With a breakdown of services and only sporadic electricity in the bitterly cold Afghan winters, most people rely on firewood and coal for heat. Among the hardest hit are some 3 million Afghans who live as refugees within their own country, having fled their homes because of war, drought, poverty or fear of the Taliban.

Earlier this month, the United Nations launched a $5 billion appeal for Afghanistan, the single largest appeal for one country.

Washington has spent $145 billion on reconstruction and development projects in Afghanistan since the 2001 US-led invasion that ousted the Taliban regime. Yet even before the Taliban recaptured the country, the poverty rate was 54 per cent —and a 2018 Gallup poll revealed unprecedented misery among Afghans.

Mujahid appealed for economic cooperation, trade and “stronger diplomatic relations.” So far, neither Afghanistan s neighbours nor the United Nations seem ready to grant formal recognition which would help open up the Afghan economy. However, UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres has called for greater economic development, saying it s critical to rapidly inject liquidity into the Afghan economy “and avoid a meltdown that would lead to poverty, hunger and destitution for millions.”

The international community has called for a more representative government that includes women as well as ethnic and religious minorities. While all members of the new Taliban Cabinet are men and most are Taliban members, Mujahid said there are exceptions, such as the deputy finance minister and officials in the economics ministry who are holdovers from the previous, US-backed administration.

Mujahid also said 80 per cent of civil servants who have returned to work were employees under the previous administration. Women are working in the health and education sector and at Kabul International Airport in customs and passport control, he added. He did not say if or when women would be allowed to return to work in government ministries.

He also told the AP that most of the new government s revenue will come from customs that the Taliban will collect at border crossings with Iran, Pakistan and the Central Asian nations to the north. Without offering figures, he claimed the Taliban have brought in more revenue in their first four months in power than the previous government in over a year.

He appealed to Afghans who have fled to return to their homeland. Since the takeover, there have been cases of opponents arrested, journalists beaten, rights workers threatened and demonstrations by women dispersed by heavily armed Taliban troops firing in the air.

Mujahid acknowledged incidents of Taliban members harassing Afghan civilians, including humiliating young men and forcibly cutting their hair.

“Such crimes happen, but it is not the policy of our government," he said, adding that those responsible were arrested.

“This is our message. We have no dispute with anyone and we don t want anyone to remain in opposition or away from their country.”

SOURCE: AP

Continue Reading

Regional

Sindh announces pay cuts govt employees for not wearing mask

Sindh government directed authorities to deduct one day's salary of all government officials and employees who do not wear a face mask

Published by Faisal Waqas

Published

on

Sindh announces pay cuts govt employees for not wearing mask

Karachi: The Sindh government has announced to deduct one day salary of all government officials and employees who do not wear a face mask on Sunday.

According to the details, the Sindh government directed authorities to deduct one day's salary of all government officials and employees who do not wear a face mask. The directives have been issued in view of the rising cases of COVID-19 in the province.

A day earlier, a meeting of the provincial coronavirus task force was chaired by Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah at the CM House during which the Shah stated that officials who do not wear masks will face a fine.

It was proposed that one day's wage be deducted from the pay of any government employee who does not wear a mask in the workplace.

Meanwhile, Pakistan witnessed an enormous spike in its daily tally of coronavirus disease (Covid-19) after as many as 4,027 new infections were logged in the last 24 hours, according to morning update by ministry of health.

The country’s positivity rate now stands at 7.8% when 4,027 fresh cases were reported. The cumulative tally of the country has now climbed to 1,324,147.

As the fifth wave of COVID-19 intensifies in Pakistan reported 4,027 new coronavirus infections, a new daily record, with authorities linking the spike with the Omicron variant of virus.  

According to the latest figures issued by the National Command and Operation Center (NCOC), 3,567 persons were tested positive while 7 died in the past 24 hours— taking Pakistan's COVID death toll to 29,012.   

As many as 1,263,584 patients have recovered from the disease. 

Punjab

The number of patients swelled to 452,261 in the province with 13,088 causalities.

Sindh

The number of infections has surged to 499,830 in the province, while the death toll has reached 7,694.

Khyber Pakhtunkhwa

The confirmed cases have surged to 182,199 in the province with 5,958 casualties.

Balochistan

There are 33,699 confirmed cases while 367 patients have died from the infection so far.

AJK and Gilgit-Baltistan

There are 34,750 coronavirus cases in the AJK while the death toll has reached 749. On the other hand, there are 10,445 cases in GB with 187 coronavirus deaths.

Islamabad

There are 110,963 cases in the capital city while 969 people have lost their lives.  

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Veteran actor Rasheed Naz passes away 

The news of sad demise of Rasheed has been revealed by his daughter-in-law and actress Madiha Rizvi who shared a post on her Instagram handle.

Published by Mehak Javed

Published

on

Veteran actor Rasheed Naz passes away 

Peshawar: Veteran Pakistani actor Rasheed Naz passed away on Monday, his family confirmed. He was 73.

The news of sad demise of Rasheed has been revealed by his daughter-in-law and actress Madiha Rizvi who shared a post on her Instagram handle.

“Rasheed Naz is no longer with us,” the actress wrote,

"Our beloved Baba Rashid Naz passed away this morning. Please recite Surah Al-Fatihah for the soul of the deceased," she added.

 
 
 
 
 
View this post on Instagram
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by Madiha Rizvi Official (@diyariz)

The veteran actor’s funeral prayers will be offered at Charsadda Road Eid Gah at 3PM.

Born in 1948, Rasheed started his television career as an actor in Pushto television play. He also worked in several Pashto, Hindko and Urdu language plays.

His first Urdu play was Aik Tha Gaoon (1973). The renowned star also worked in Pakistan's first private television play Dasht, telecast on N T M.

In 1988, he worked in his first Pashto film Zama Jang (in Urdu "Meri Jang"). His first Urdu film was Syed Noor's Dakait. He also worked in Shoaib Mansoor's film Khuda Ke Liye.

Rasheed Naz’s popular films include Karachi to Lahore, Varna, Khuda Ke Liye and others.

Continue Reading

Trending