Around 100 people have died in international waters after setting off from Libya in an overcrowded boat.


Geneva: Around 100 people have died in international waters after setting off from Libya in an overcrowded boat, international organisations informed.
A commercial tanker- Alegria 1, has rescued four people from a life raft in the Mediterranean early Saturday morning, the Doctors without Borders charity said.
"We know from our initial contact with Alegria 1 that the survivors reported being at sea for at least four days on a boat with nearly 100 people on board," the charity, which goes by its French acronym MSF, said in a tweet.
According to a transcript of the logbook of exchanges with the tanker, the tanker said "around 96 people died in the water".
The UN refugee chief reacted to the news Sunday, tweeting: "more than 90 people have died in another Mediterranean tragedy".
"Europe has proven its ability to host 4 million refugees from Ukraine generously and effectively," he said.
"It must now urgently consider how to apply this to other refugees and migrants knocking, in distress, at its doors."
MSF meanwhile stressed that those rescued on Saturday "are in need of urgent protection and care."
"None of the survivors should be returned to a place where they face detention, abuse and ill-treatment. Libya is not a place of safety," it said.
Libya, wracked by a decade of conflict and lawlessness, has become a key departure point for African and Asian migrants making desperate attempts to reach Europe.
Migrants often endure horrific conditions in Libya before embarking northwards on overcrowded, often unseaworthy vessels that frequently sink or get into trouble.
Prior to the latest tragedy, the UN's International Organization for Migration had recorded 367 deaths in the Mediterranean so far this year, after registering 2,048 such deaths in 2021.
According to International Organisation for Migration, nearly 300 migrants died or were presumed dead along the Central Mediterranean route between January 1 and March 28.
Around 3,100 migrants were intercepted and taken back to Libya.
Once back in Libya, the migrants are typically taken to government-run detention centres rife with abuse and ill-treatment.

First Alert’s new smart smoke alarm is meant to be a Google Nest Protect replacement
- 6 hours ago

Yale’s new smart lock can match your Google Nest doorbell
- 6 hours ago

Judge dismisses Samsung’s smart ring lawsuit against Oura
- 6 hours ago

Naqvi briefs PM Shehbaz on security, others issues
- 14 hours ago

What's going on with Rafael Devers? Putting his historic strikeout streak into context
- 5 hours ago

Bueckers, Betts, Booker among Wooden finalists
- 5 hours ago

NBA play-in tournament 2025: Schedule, standings, format
- 5 hours ago

Why has Cory Booker been talking for 19 straight hours (and counting)?
- 4 hours ago

Google discontinues Nest Protect smoke alarm and Nest x Yale door lock
- 6 hours ago

PSL X anthem ‘X Dekho’ unveiled
- 14 hours ago

US tariff hikes may slow global growth: Russian central bank
- 13 hours ago

The self-defeating tragedy of the Trump tariffs
- 4 hours ago