Connect with us

Crime

Nazim Jokhio murder case: Clothes and mobile phone of slain Nazim Jokhio recovered

Nazim Jokhio murder case: Clothes and mobile phone of slain Nazim Jokhio recovered

Published

on

Nazim Jokhio murder case: Clothes and mobile phone of slain Nazim Jokhio recovered
GNN Media: Representational Photo

Karachi: Major development has been made in the investigation of Nazim Jokhio's murder case as the investigation team has recovered the clothes and mobile phone of slain Nazim Jokhio from a well near Jam House.

According to details, the investigation team expedited the probe into the brutal murder case of Nazim Jokhio. The investigation team traced the mobile phone location of Afzal Jokhio, Niaz, Jam Abdul Karim in Jam Goth with the help of mobile data.

Mobiles and clothes will be sent to Punjab Laboratory for forensics test, while the audio and video of the slain Nazim Jokhio will be used as the prime evidence in his murder case.

The investigation team has revealed that Nazim Jokhio had sent his last audio message to Mazhar Junejo before going to Jam Awais' camp. The forensic report could take one to two weeks or more.

Mehak Javed

Mehak Javed is immensely creative and an enthusiastic journalist, contributing in the publication of timely and accurate news. She is a skilled writer along proven history of achievement in the field with several years of professional experience. Mehak is working with GNN since 2020.

Health

'Variant of concern': WHO names new Covid variant as Omicron

The World Health Organisation (WHO) on Friday classified the B.1.1.529 variant detected in South Africa as a SARS-CoV-2 "variant of concern," saying it may spread more quickly than other forms.

Published by Faisal Ali Ghumman

Published

on

'Variant of concern': WHO names new Covid variant as Omicron

Preliminary evidence suggested there is an increased risk of reinfection and there had been a "detrimental change in COVID-19 epidemiology," it said in a statement after a closed meeting of independent experts who reviewed the data.

Infections in South Africa had risen steeply in recent weeks, coinciding with detection of the variant now designated as omicron, WHO said.

"This variant has a large number of mutations, some of which are concerning. Preliminary evidence suggests an increased risk of reinfection with this variant, as compared to other (variants of concern), it said.

Omicron is the fifth variant to carry such a designation.
"This variant has been detected at faster rates than previous surges in infection, suggesting that this variant may have a growth advantage," the WHO said.

Current PCR tests continue to successfully detect the variant, it said.

Earlier, the WHO cautioned countries against hastily imposing travel restrictions linked to the variant of COVID-19, saying they should take a "risk-based and scientific approach".

Global authorities reacted with alarm to the new variant detected in South Africa, with the EU and Britain among those tightening border controls as scientists sought to find out if the mutation was vaccine-resistant. L1N2SH089

"At this point, implementing travel measures is being cautioned against," WHO spokesman Christian Lindmeier told a U.N. briefing in Geneva. "The WHO recommends that countries continue to apply a risk-based and scientific approach when implementing travel measures."

It would take several weeks to determine the variant's transmissibility and the effectiveness of vaccines and therapeutics against it, he said, noting that 100 sequences of the variant have been reported so far.

People should continue to wear masks whenever possible, avoid large gatherings, ventilate rooms and maintain hand hygiene, Lindmeier added.

Mike Ryan, WHO's emergency director, praised South African public health institutions for picking up the signal of the new variant.

But he warned that while some countries had systems in place to do this, the situation elsewhere was often unclear.

"So it's really important that there are no knee-jerk responses here. Especially with relation to South Africa," he said. "Because we've seen in the past, the minute that there is any mention of any kind of variation, then everyone is closing borders and restricting travel."

SOURCE: REUTERS

 

Continue Reading

Regional

2 killed in Lahore road accident

Mishap took place when a speeding vehicle rammed into the people standing on the sidewalk

Published by Siddra Sumreen

Published

on

2 killed in Lahore road accident

Lahore: Two young men were killed in a traffic accident in Defense area of Lahore on Saturday morning.

According to GNN, the accident took place in Defence’s Phase VI where the car hit the footpath and turned over resulting in two deaths and injuries to another man.

Those died on the spot were identified as 24-year-old Faisal and 25-year-old Ali Ahmad

According to the traffic police, another young person named Amir was also injured in the accident and was shifted to General Hospital for medical treatment.

Earlier on yesterday, at least three students have lost their lives in an accident in Bahawalpur.

According to details, the mishap took place when a speeding trailer rammed into the students in Musafir Khana area.

Receiving information about the incident, rescue teams and security personnel arrived at the scene and shifted the victims to the nearby hospital. 

Continue Reading

Pakistan

Aleem Khan decides to resign as provincial minister

Sources revealed that the senior minister had expressed his desire during a meeting with Prime Minister Imran Khan.

Published by Mehak Javed

Published

on

Aleem Khan decides to resign as provincial minister

Lahore: Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leader Abdul Aleem Khan Friday decided to resign as Senior Minister of Punjab and provincial food minister.

According to sources, Aleem Khan had taken the decision due to his unexplained personal issues. 

Reports quoting sources revealed that the senior minister had expressed his desire during a meeting with Prime Minister Imran Khan.

Aleem Khan, who was serving as senior minister and holding the portfolio of food.

It is pertinent to mention here that Aleem Khan had resigned twice before and rejoined the provincial cabinet back in April 2020.

Continue Reading

Trending