- Home
- Technology
- News
Meta claims Australia hastily bans kids' social media use
Social media companies have expressed reservations about its implementation


California: Social media company Meta accused the Australian government of being hasty in enacting legislation to ban children under the age of 16 from using social media.
According to the company, this decision was made without considering the evidence and the opinions of young people.
It is pertinent to note that on November 28, the Australian House of Representatives approved a bill to ban children under the age of 16 from using social media in the country.
The ban will be implemented within a year.
After the bill is approved by the Senate, authorities will have to establish a security system within a year to prevent minors from accessing social media platforms.
So far, most social media companies have talked about implementing the law, failing to do so will face heavy fines.
However, social media companies have expressed reservations about its implementation.
A Meta spokesperson said: “We are concerned about the hasty legislative process that has not properly considered the evidence that the industry is ensuring that age-appropriate content is displayed”.
The ban has also been supported by Australia’s main opposition party.
This is the first time such a policy has been introduced in the world.
To this end, Australia is trialing an age-identification system that will help prevent children from accessing social media platforms.

Naqvi briefs PM Shehbaz on security, others issues
- 10 hours ago

What's going on with Rafael Devers? Putting his historic strikeout streak into context
- an hour ago

Google discontinues Nest Protect smoke alarm and Nest x Yale door lock
- 2 hours ago

NBA play-in tournament 2025: Schedule, standings, format
- an hour ago

Bueckers, Betts, Booker among Wooden finalists
- an hour ago

Judge dismisses Samsung’s smart ring lawsuit against Oura
- 2 hours ago

Self-driving taxis coming to Dubai by 2026, says RTA
- 14 hours ago

Yale’s new smart lock can match your Google Nest doorbell
- 2 hours ago

From a famed Russian basketball academy to Provo, Egor Demin is dialed in
- 14 hours ago

First Alert’s new smart smoke alarm is meant to be a Google Nest Protect replacement
- 2 hours ago

US tariff hikes may slow global growth: Russian central bank
- 9 hours ago

PSL X anthem ‘X Dekho’ unveiled
- 10 hours ago